Male orientated

KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic ArtistsNAT Warrior
I have found that a lot of Webmasters Forums seem to be male orientated and women tend to feel intimidated when posting. Anyone agree? :)
My Gallery
WWWC Photoshop & Bryce Tutor
Founder of TWInc
Profession: KMA
I am not a purple people eater :p

Comments

• MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Yes, I agree! I also find that we are communicated with in a patronising and condescending tone, the worst of all it goes on in most forums regardless of theme.
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • ZZ Formerly ''Piet'' NAT Warrior
    i like to see women join the forum.
    and why should you feel intimidated.
    i like the posts they make, sometimes its good to have a women point of view.
  • GOBGOB Beginer NAT Warrior
    I totally agree about it happening in all forums. And in life in general. How many women are here?
    just to be clear i am a man.
    but i realy like women to join the forums.
    i know a few forums, and i think its good to have women on board.
  • KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic Artists NAT Warrior
    You are very kind Piet, but it is an unfortunate fact that many of my female members tend to steer clear of some forums due to their feeling they are treated like children because they dare to voice an opinion :(
    My Gallery
    Founder of TWInc
    piet wrote: »
    sometimes its good to have a women point of view.

No offence meant but posts like that tends to cause offence to most women because the "sometimes" is implying that women are incapable of having a valid opinion as often as their male counterparts due to their sex :)

I'm not offended by your post, I'm just pointing out how it can be read ;)
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    GOB wrote: »
    I totally agree about it happening in all forums. And in life in general. How many women are here?

Um I don't know GOB I think there are 4 or 5?
    My Gallery
    Founder of TWInc
    *Counts*

Myself, Katra, Gina, GOB, Temp, Sweet and I believe Trisha joined as well but I'm not entirely sure if she did or if there are others that sit silently in the background just reading...
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    It might have something to do with the fact that a lot of people working in web development are male.
    Granted, there's a large number of female designers and developers, but a majority of people in the field these kinds of forums cover are probably males.
    It's not that women can't do the things that web development requires, but it's just generally not seen as an overly interesting choice for men or women when it comes to learning the skills and getting the jobs unless you happen to be a little nerdy like 90% of the people doing it.

Some developers end up with a kind of superiority or god complex where they think they have the right to talk down to people or to force them to do things their way simply because they can build things, which is where a fair bit of the intimidation comes from.

Personally, I know of some incredibly tallented artists who are female and I know of some women who are quite adept at the more messy side of computers (programming, construction and such).
    The differences between males and females generally don't exist for me online since to anyone else, I'm just a formatted text string and an avatar.
    It doesn't matter what colour, gender or age you are online, it's only really what you do that counts.
    I've talked with \ known 13 year olds who can match many 40-something people when it comes to stuff like PHP and C++.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    wow you are completly wright.

i think thats the problem with us.
    i mean we say it like that but dont realy mean it like how you read it.

but is that not the problem in whole the relations.
    i mean man come from mars women from venus.

that most men say things like what i didt.
    and think there is no harm in it.

but if someone lets see how you can read it to.
    go like oops.

Ps i realy mean to say that a womens point of view is welcome by me.

and i know a lot of them are posting under man names.
    i can understand that, but dont have to be like that.
  • GinavereGinavere Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Yes I agree!
    I do not like having someone talking to me in a condescending tone. So what if I am not on to of the las test software or hardware, so what if I prefer to use the older ones, does that make me dumb? I think not.

And I do not know about any of the women here, but I just do not get all the techie talk that often goes on in these forums. Tell it to me straight, tell it to me simple. I'm one of those women who got into computers when most of you here were still in dampers. When everything was DOS base. Yeah I am aging myself here but I don't care.

We women have a lot to offer, treat us with respect, treat us as your friends. Remember we are not your enemies ::smiles::Unless you want us to be.
    There?s a miracle of friendship that dwells within the heart And you don?t know how it happens or where it gets its start But the happiness it brings you always gives a special lift Any you realize that friendship Is God?s most perfect gift.
    --Anon
  • LurkinBackLurkinBack Senior Member The Royal RAM
    Oooooooooooooooook. Personal opinion alert. Please don't take offence.

1. Yes there are many places that women are talked down to simply because of their sex.
    2. Yes this does happen in many places across the web.
    3. Yes this happens in real life.
    4. Yes this is unacceptable.

HOWEVER

I believe that there are also many places on the web where men are spoken down to also because of their sex. There have been a good many PSP forums I have joined only to be discriminated against, talked down to and generally mistreated just because I am male.

Yes men are bad at doing this however women can be just as bad, (especially when a nasty ex is in the picture somewhere).

My PERSONAL OPINION is that this happens in all ways, people discriminate against each other. Its not something that is right, it is not something that should be tolerated in any of its forms. I am simply saying that this can work both ways. However I am also willing to accept that men can be worse than women in a lot of ways.
    LurkinBack wrote: »
    I believe that there are also many places on the web where men are spoken down to also because of their sex. There have been a good many PSP forums I have joined only to be discriminated against, talked down to and generally mistreated just because I am male.
    By your minion desperate housewives? You love it and you know you do!
    LurkinBack wrote:
    Yes men are bad at doing this however women can be just as bad, (especially when a nasty ex is in the picture somewhere).
    I won't go there! :rolleyes:
    LurkinBack wrote:
    My PERSONAL OPINION is that this happens in all ways, people discriminate against each other. Its not something that is right, it is not something that should be tolerated in any of its forms. I am simply saying that this can work both ways. However I am also willing to accept that men can be worse than women in a lot of ways.
    Amen!
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    Although I partially agree with you Lurk, because those places you speak of tend to be generally nasty to each other, male or female lol. I was really referring to the tech forums where women would really like to be spoke to in a way where the men do not go into a spiel of technical terms simply because it makes them look superior.
    (and I am not saying all men do that)
    My Gallery
    Founder of TWInc
    LOL Well if its any help I feel intimidated in places like this too, just being a beginner in the world of web coding.
    LOL Well if its any help I feel intimidated in places like this too, just being a beginner in the world of web coding.

But do you feel intimidated by another's knowledge or how you're spoken to?
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    Neitherl by my own lack of knowledge lol
    inmagine how i feel, a total newbie.

with totaly no experience in building a website or designing or what soever.

and trying to be the most nice man on the forum.

but i must say this is one of my favorite forums.
    just because everyone is realy helping eachother out here.

is there someone in the house who build websites for free.lol
    piet wrote: »
    inmagine how i feel, a total newbie.

with totaly no experience in building a website or designing or what soever.

and trying to be the most nice man on the forum.

but i must say this is one of my favorite forums.
    just because everyone is realy helping eachother out here.

is there someone in the house who build websites for free.lol

lol@Piet now you are the kind of gentleman that ladies would feel very comfortable with
    My Gallery
    Founder of TWInc
    yes but that is only on the web.
    not in real life.lol

but thanks for your nice comment
    There have been a good many PSP forums I have joined only to be discriminated against, talked down to and generally mistreated just because I am male.

AND those are the same forums which abuse copyright laws, do not respect artist or any one Else's TOU and discriminate against other women who are better than them and from what I have seen the men they treat ****ty are twice as good as they are.

Regardless of that, everyone needs to show each other a little more respect and understanding.

-=slips Moddy a brand new whip=- ginapirate
    There?s a miracle of friendship that dwells within the heart And you don?t know how it happens or where it gets its start But the happiness it brings you always gives a special lift Any you realize that friendship Is God?s most perfect gift.
    --Anon
    Very well said Gina ;)

wahoo thank you for the new whip Pirate Daughter :D
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    LOL Ditto...including the thank you for the new whip!
    LOL Ditto...including the thank you for the new whip!

ROFL :whip:
    snicker
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    MGDesigns wrote: »
    Very well said Gina ;)

wahoo thank you for the new whip Pirate Daughter :D

-=smacks her forehead=- Okay Mun, Daddykins I'm not coming home tonight. -=does not want to hear Lurk saying "Hit me harder Mistress =-
    --Anon
    *wonders why Moddy is going bright red. It ain't you taking it like a naughty boy! :p
    ROFLMFAO

Just so long as you're home in time for lunch ;)

Probably the same reason yours did lurkiepoooos :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    LMAO Okay I am out of this board before I get fired for laughing so hard!
    --Anon
    Sorry to have offended Mistress
  • KalinaKalina WP Staff Link Clerk
    Katra wrote: »
    I have found that a lot of Webmasters Forums seem to be male orientated and women tend to feel intimidated when posting. Anyone agree? :)
    WOW! No way, men don't intimidate me, I'll kick their asses! Hey, the male members of my forum have publicly admitted to being scared of me and afraid to join my forum, rotf! I think it's after seeing my "take no prisoners" approach to BS on other forums before I started my own. It's fun. I like them to be afraid. :o :p
    MGDesigns wrote: »
    *Counts*

Myself, Katra, Gina, GOB, Temp, Sweet and I believe Trisha joined as well but I'm not entirely sure if she did or if there are others that sit silently in the background just reading...
    Don't forget Kalina! The ass-whooping... ok I'll stop now... :D:D