newbie revenue question

Hi,

I'm Rischen.

Newbie.

I've got a real greenfish question to ask y'all. Guess I'd appreciate your help on it as I haven't been able to find it properly answered in my research and all.

If you have a site and you have a link from your site to a column from say, 'Variety' or 'Rolling Stone' or the 'New Yorker' does that count as a banner ad that you get click revenue from or is it just a you scratch my back I'll slap yours type deal? They'll put your banner up on their site and you get a dash of class from having their intellectual property on yours, kinda thing.

I guess I'm having a bit of trouble distinguishing between banner ads and sponsored links and plain links and such and the ways you make revenue from having the presence of other companies on your site. Is it always an automated per click arrangement or is it sometimes more ad hoc where you speak to a company about your site and if you see eye to eye they link to it or put their content on your site. I think y'all might know more about what I mean than I do and I'd appreciate your time and help.

Nice to meet y'all. My best to you with your current projects.

Rischen

Comments

• SEbasicSEbasic Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Welcome to the forum!

What you are loking for in that instance, would be a banner exchange or impression based banner programme.

They are not often very effective but if your site recieves a lot oftraffic (100,000+ per week), you can generate $50 or so a week from it (Not very lucrative I'm afraid)..

Best bet would be an affiliate programme...

Do a search for the phrase "Afilliate programme", and loads of sites will come up providing you with plenty information as to what they are about. :)
    Rave it up.
  • RischenRischen Beginner Link Clerk
    Hi SEbasic,

Thanks for your time and your help.

I'll do what you said, check out affiliate programs on the web, see what I can see.

Guess when it comes down to it I want to know how you pull revenue on your site when you aren't selling off your site per se, when your site provides an intellectual service such as an entertainment site dealing with gossip, current affairs, etc, etc.

Thanks for your help, SEb. How's your work coming?

Rischen
  • ArestiaArestia Member NAT Warrior
    for a site based on information and discussion i would go with googles adsense. if you get a decent amount of traffic you could bring a little income in.

-Dan
    Arestia Design Studios / Synapse Corporate Solutions
    Daniel L. Rust - Lead Architect
    Seattle, WA
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    Hey, welcome.

For affiliate programs, I'd suggest clickbank.com or ebay.com :)
  • SEbasicSEbasic Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Personally I would use Commission Junction for Affiliate stuff.

Click bank is cr#p. The sign up process is confusing and the support isn't amasing either...

What specific market are you trying to break into Rischen? That can play a pretty big part in choosing what Affiliate programmes to go for.

As Arestia says though, It's probabally worth running adsense on the site too http://www.google.com/adsense/

You get paid every time a click is made, whereas with an affiliate programme, you get paid per sale.
    Rave it up.
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I'm usng ComissionJunction. It seems pretty good and you make some decent money per sale... But just not very often. lol