Forums

What is the most powerful *free* forum out there? IPB is pretty good I thought, but are there other ones? I have NEVER been to an organized, goodlooking, phpBB forum.

But what are your guys opinions?

Comments

• Raven2424Raven2424 Junior Member Shared Hoster
    i use and like phpbb check mine out www.chaos-vortex.net it would be great if you would join. There are many themes/skins you can download for free and like vbulletin there are lots of mods or addons you can download.
    XR-Host.com Free templates, Tutorials, Scripts and more!! Great Site with lots content from templates, logos, Scripts, Tutorials and more!
  • cptnwinkycptnwinky Junior Member Shared Hoster
    phpbb2 definatly has my vote. Although in most every case it really depends on what features your looking for.

One pet peave I have about all these forums is the inability to loop in the skins so you have to have several skin files, one for each php file and then looped tidbits. I wish there was one that used one skin file and just looped over sections.
    PM me for small freelance php jobs.
    I have never been too needy but I lost my job due to the company shutting down our location. I just had a child and live in a pretty depressed area at the moment. I need some freelance work fairly bad.
  • summoner49summoner49 Member NAT Warrior
    Why exactly is it so good? It is much slower than the other options, and the one I moderate: www.enlightforums.com has an error messege after every post.
    Whats the error? More than likely its an error with the skin or some third party hack that was installed. A default install does not throw errors. Also, show me how its much slower than the others. Prove it to me, show me the benchmarks, and a few milliseconds in my opinion is not much slower.
    I have never been too needy but I lost my job due to the company shutting down our location. I just had a child and live in a pretty depressed area at the moment. I need some freelance work fairly bad.
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    To tell the truth, I feel that the old Dev Dreams site that runs on phpBB is just as good as the current one. Sure, the color scheme and the tidbits (graphics and all) is better now but as far as the engine and speed is concerned, I don't think I could say that I have a better experience now.
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I have been told repeatedly by many people that phpBB takes up lots of file space and bandwidth and loads slower.
    Please don't argue this because it's not my opinion. I'm gonna sit on the frence for this because I just don't know.
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    it takes up a lot of space, i noticed that on fantastico it used more space than the other BBs that i have available
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    originally i preffered phpbb to all other forum software simply because its easy to use and easy to customize

but since Ive had vbulletin i think its much better

The Royal Ram

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    But VB's not free... :P
    I would go with IPB, i'm sure after you have played with it for an hour, you won't have any problems! :)
    IPB has alot of features but the skinning is really confusing. It takes way too much effort to skin it. The fact that the CSS file is first taken from a php file and then put in the database then stored in a temporary folder is just backwards.
  • DanDan Senior Member The Royal RAM
    and I h8 the admin panel in it !
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    I sort of agree there i prefer the vbulletin admin panel to any other forum software.

The Royal Ram

• KlaasKoopmanKlaasKoopman Member NAT Warrior
    IPB is the best
    Klaas Koopman's Quality Services
    - My Portfolio Site
    - Webmaster Forums
  • ArestiaArestia Member NAT Warrior
    i like vbulletin, clean looking and good features

-Dan
    Arestia Design Studios / Synapse Corporate Solutions
    Daniel L. Rust - Lead Architect
    Seattle, WA