Mac or Pc and why?

Sparkydude31809Sparkydude31809 Junior MemberShared Hoster
I want to get a computer but I want some help...Should I get a Pc or a Mac and why?...(No Intell either on the Macs)
"I come as a right hand, an agent of God, to carry out his judgement"

:hello:

Comments

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Uh, wanna give us a _little_ more info on what you might be using it for, etc ?
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    PC pro's:
    Better for gaming.
    Tons of things to upgrade.
    Lots of cases to choose from.
    Cheap.
    Can run Linux.

PC con's:
    Windows.
    1,000,000.5 viruses, trojans, worms and generally nasty little blighters.
    Spyware, adware and general malware issues, including some with Microsoft's Messenger software.
    Internet Explorer.
    Not always as pretty.
    Windows can have problems picking up hardware that Microsoft sells (like my wireless optical mouse that Linux found as soon as I plugged it in).

Mac pro's:
    Not running Windows.
    Good looking designs.
    Running Unix.
    Can run Linux & Windows.
    OS X isn't crippled by Windows viruses, which are more common than Unix viruses.
    No Internet Explorer that's worth installing.
    OS X is less of a resource hog.
    Better stock software (iLife Vs. Calculator and NotePad :rolleyes: ).

Mac con's:
    Not so hot in terms of gaming (games come out way after the PC versions, if at all).
    More costly to start with (though you could argue that as PC's often get upgraded more frequently, that this is offset by the cost of parts and possibly labour attributed to upgrades).
    Less commercial support (less 3rd party applications, though many of these have free alternatives... This is more noticable when you use your system for gaming though as stuff like Photoshop and Dreamweaver are available on Macs).
    Less computer shops sell Apple products as more people use PC's (isn't that why Apple has a web based shop?).

Basically, Apple's systems pretty much match a normal PC, but if you're more of a gamer, a Windows machine will get the newer games first.
    On saying that though, you can run Windows on Intel based Macs.
    If you're not after an Intel based Mac, then you'll probably find that you'll be picking something up off of ebay as all of Apple's systems use Intel chips now (Apple wanted the change over from IBM PowerPC CPU's to be complete by 2007), and offer much better performance.
    Intel based Macs also come in at about the same price as an average pre-built PC setup (base level iMac), though a PC of that price will usually come with a 2.5Ghz Celeron or P4 instead of a 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, a smaller HDD, no camera and sometimes a printer.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • Sparkydude31809Sparkydude31809 Junior Member Shared Hoster
    I want something that will perform fast...and is great for webdesign
    "I come as a right hand, an agent of God, to carry out his judgement"

:hello:
    Both have a native version of Photoshop as well as apps like Fireworks, Dreamweaver and Flash.
    Both have various web development tools, so it's pretty much a case of using the one you're more comfortable with.
    If you're more used to using Mac software, then you might be at home with a Mac.

Unix (which OS X is based on) is usually better at avoiding bloat without losing features, which is why OS X has had visual effects for ages while Windows won't have then until Vista rolls out of Microsoft's offices and onto a system that'll cost a fair bit (I have visual effects and such on a machine that Vista wouldn't run on with them turned off, and I don't get a crippled system from them either).
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    Nuvo wrote: »
    PC pro's:
    Mac pro's:
    Not running Windows.
    Good looking designs.
    Running Unix.
    Can run Linux & Windows.

hehe, sounds funny, "not running windows + can run Linux and Windows"... ^^

Oh well, it's all about taste, a very powerfull Windows machine is able to fulfill all your wishes, but so can a powerfull Mac. The funny part: I use them both, but I'm Microsoft Certified, so I'm more like a Windows user than a Unix user, too bad =P

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

Yeah, but pretty much every pre-built PC you can get comes with an OEM install of Windows XP unless you go to a site which caters for users of Unix, or you go to Dell and get one of their systems that allow you to request that Windows isn't installed (though due to the agreement that allows companies such as Dell to offer Windows as an OEM OS, it's required that they give you some form of OS, so they give you FreeDOS).
    With an Intel Mac, you get OS X, but you can install Windows XP using the Apple Boot Camp software (Intel based Apple systems don't use BIOS, they use an newer system by Intel called EFI which is better as it allows for OS independant drivers, thus allowing more hardware to be used across more OS's so long as EFI is supported and EFI compatible drivers are included in the device firmware).
    Boot Camp helps you set up partitions and such as well as getting BIOS support modules working in the EFI firmware that replaces it.
  • lionsgatelionsgate Member NAT Warrior
    I would recommend you to go for windows. However, the user Nuvo had privded only the disadvantages of windows maybe he don't like windows. Anyhow, if you search through the internet you'll find more advantages of windows than anyother. However, the words that he said in the above post are true but its not the all. Most users use microsoft windows. Basically you want it for web design which will perform better in windows operating system. If your pc is not for personal use then i'll say you can go for linux if the works really like those. And if its your personal/home pc then you must/should go for Microsoft Windows. Its the best overall. Ratings are the highest and popularity is more than anyother. So looking at this you can easily choose windows without any confusions.

Regards,