Hosting and Law

rebelagentrebelagent Junior MemberShared Hoster
Okay I'm a web host and I follow the laws of the land. I know internet is a toss up but honestly I think the rules that apply for businesses should apply for the company that hosts the server. Meaning for instance lets say I am a reseller and I bought a server through the planet. So I allow hackers to be hosted on my account. I am held to the laws of Texas because the server is hosted there.

Internet is a physical property to me and is governed like all other products...or at least should be. Any agree or oppose?

Comments

• CrazyTechCrazyTech Beginner Link Clerk
    I have to agree, one should be (and is) subject to the laws of where the company has the services (IE: that DC in Texas) and where you're conducting the business (CA in your case, or SC in mine).

Unfortunately, particularly because of the DMCA, things can very quickly get confusing.
  • rebelagentrebelagent Junior Member Shared Hoster
    I know and it aggravates me... So many companies host hackers and their sites are even a threat to the server that hosts them. Sure they think "well I host them they won't hack me." Or "They're not dumb enough to hack my server that i resold to someone else" But they don't have to exploits are commonly passed around from hacker to hacker. Many instances hackers aren't that smart, they're students who want to have an ego fest.
  • ayushsinhalayushsinhal Junior Member Shared Hoster
    rebelagent wrote: »
    Okay I'm a web host and I follow the laws of the land. I know internet is a toss up but honestly I think the rules that apply for businesses should apply for the company that hosts the server. Meaning for instance lets say I am a reseller and I bought a server through the planet. So I allow hackers to be hosted on my account. I am held to the laws of Texas because the server is hosted there.

Internet is a physical property to me and is governed like all other products...or at least should be. Any agree or oppose?

completely agree we should follow all the laws
  • rebelagentrebelagent Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Too bad lots of other people don't I know big people in the communitys who take this to the server owners and they say "What can I do it's a business I can't close it down just because he hacked you"

But you should be able to. I'm even placing it in my terms of service