Gaming Consoles

MGDesignsMGDesigns AdminVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
We (lurk and I) have been building up our collection of consoles and handhelds, yep going all the way back to ones now considered as Retro. In our little collection we have the following (in no particular order):-

AJAX
Amstrad CPC-464 (non-console)
SNES
N64
GameCube
DS
Sega Mega Drive & CD
Dreamcast
PlayStation (original)
PS2
PSP
XBox

We still have a few that we'd love to get, I want the new Nintendo Wii and he wants a XBox 360 but the one we both want is the Panasonic 3DO.

Tell me, what consoles do you own? Do you collect them? What console would you love to have? :D
A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
-
ModGirl Design
My ArtWanted Portfolio
Renderosity Gallery

Comments

• WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I dont have one at the moment.. Don't planning to get one either..

Well i've had

Playstation
    Sega
    Super Nintendo

And some others

I'd love to have Playstation 3 o.O
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • stusangelcazstusangelcaz Member NAT Warrior
    OMG moddy, does your amstrad have a disk drive or a tape player :P. We still have one of those that actually works :D.

My list is like this... N64, PSone, PS2, SNES, Amstrad cpc464, gameboy colour

I really want a game cube though just to play zelda on
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    OMG moddy, does your amstrad have a disk drive or a tape player :P. We still have one of those that actually works :D.

Tape player of course :D lol
    I really want a game cube though just to play zelda on

Completed :cool:
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    At the moment I've only got:
    Xbox
    PS2
    Xbox 360 (the better one with an extra wireless pad and wifi)
    Nintendo DS Lite (black)

To list all the one's I can remember owning (probably more than this though):
    Comadore 64
    NES
    SNES
    Gameboy
    Gameboy Pocket
    Gameboy Advance
    Gameboy Advance SP
    Nintendo DS (at launch)
    Nintendo DS Lite (at launch, selling at some point)
    Nintendo Game & Watch: Donkey Kong (I hate the fact that this got broken as they fetch a fortune these days)
    Gamecube (with the GBA dock and GBA link leads, one of which I still have somewhere)
    N64
    Sega Master System I (with the card slot)
    Sega Master System II
    Sega Megadrive I
    Sega Megadrive II
    Sega Gamegear
    Sega Dreamcast
    Atari Lynx
    Atari ???? (can't remember which one it was, not the Jaguar)
    Xbox (selling at some point)
    Xbox 360 Premium (at launch, but that one died because Microsoft put out a bad patch, so I got it fixed)
    Playstation
    Playstation 2 (selling at some point)
    PSP (at launch, just sold it with 13 games, 3 movies and an extra memory stick)

Basically, I've had every Nintendo console available to me to date (not importing) other than a Gameboy Colour and Gameboy Micro and I used to be a fan of Sega consoles, so the only one I never bothered to get was the Saturn, for obvious reasons.
    Had Sega pushed the Dreamcast more and had they done a better job on the controllers, it could have worked for them.

I don't really bother with consoles much these days as I spend a lot of time on my PC, but I might think about picking up a Wii at some point down the road, but only once I've had the chance to actually play on one as I still don't trust the controller fully and the DS wasn't a big hit for me, but then again, neither was the PSP.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • LurkinBackLurkinBack Senior Member The Royal RAM
    Ah the big choice playing or playing lol not enough hands to do consoles and pc soooooooooooo am off to play with my "new" dreamcast lmao
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    You guys are far ahead of me with the consules. I've only owned some really old school ones:

Atari 2600
    The first Atari
    Comodor 64
    Texas Instrument (first one with the tape drives, it was both a computer and a game consule combined)
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    =O, console-owners :eek:

I'm a collector =P:

- Sega Master System
    - Sega MegaDrive 1
    - Sega Dreamcast (PAL)
    - Super Nintendo (SNES)
    - Nintendo 64
    - Nintendo Gamecube
    - Gameboy Advanced
    - Playstation II

Okay, my list isn't that long, I just collect certain games to certain consoles ^^.

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

• chiragchirag Member NAT Warrior
    I have played some games of ps2 at my frnds house. Nice experience. But I have only pc to play games but I m happy with it.
    You guys are far ahead of me with the consules. I've only owned some really old school ones:

Atari 2600
    The first Atari
    Comodor 64
    Texas Instrument (first one with the tape drives, it was both a computer and a game consule combined)

In our list the really old school one is the AJAX. For starters it takes batteries, it has no power supply hole. It has 4 pre programmed games (and one of those is a practise for the others lol), the controllers have one turning switch on them that enables you to move your | up and down on the screen to help you hit the . that bounces about. It's not quite as old as the Pong game but it's close!
  • SweetSweet Junior Member Shared Hoster
    OMG! I love game consoles! My hubby is a hoarder lol, over the years I think we have had every one of them that came out! It also helps having a son to "buy them for" hee hee. At the moment we have a playstation 2, game cube, dreamcast, xbox, game boys (3 of them we all got hooked on pokeman lol) game boy advance, ds, and a sega magadrive rofl!

My favourite one has to be the dreamcast I think it was underated. Also I spent hours on the final fantasy games on the playstation .... I think I need to go get a life! :D
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Myself and my brother have owned:

An original pong console - only played pong...
    NES
    Sega Mega Drive
    N64
    PS2
    GameBoy
    GameBoy Pocket
    GameBoy Colour
    Nintendo DS

Though I can't remember the last time I seriously played a console game...
    My iBook ownz. :P
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    mastersystem
    nintendo
    super nintendo
    n64
    playstation (had it for a month and never played it)

I never really played my n64 either i was a PC boy by then
    Sweet wrote: »
    My favourite one has to be the dreamcast I think it was underated. Also I spent hours on the final fantasy games on the playstation .... I think I need to go get a life! :D

Yeah, the Dreamcast was a landmark console really, but the lack of advertising and the inability to play music without crippling the drive did cause a few slight problems.
    The Dreamcast was the first one to really push online play, though back when 56K was more common (I hated that), it was a bit problematic (especially the chat system on their DC site which refreshed every minute or so, nuking whatever you were typing).
    There was a broadband modem, but that thing is like platinum plated gold dust (in other words, there were about 2 on ebay for some high prices).
    The Dremcast was, at the time, very powerful and it was actually the first 128bit console (predating the PS2, though bit rates are no longer used in advertising since it's much more impressive to say "Three 3.2Ghz cores in the CPU... That's 9.6Ghz in all!!!1").
    No other company had a system like the VMU, though Sony did copy it with their Pocketstation memory card (compatible with release versions of Final Fantasy 8 here, though the card never got here and wasn't a success) and although Sony touts the EyeToy as their revolution in gaming, which microsoft has copies, Sega actually did start the ball rolling by developing a Dreamcast camera, which never got released as Sega pulled out of the console world due to losses made after the Playstation came out (the Saturn lost to the Playstation and the Dreamcast to the PS2).

Still rated rather highly and since released on the Xbox and Gamecube, Phantasy Star Online was one of the biggest games out on the DC, though the follow-up's such as PSO3 and Phantasy Star Universe haven't evolved enough to merit such a success (PSO3 used the slightly updated engine from PSO Episode 2, which was bundled with PSO on the Xbox and Gamecube and PSU is rated as looking like a PS2 game and as not playing any better than PSO) and Sega's introduction of a monthly fee of $9.99 for a game that isn't an MMORPG hasn't pleased people (especially when you're also paying for Xbox LIVE Gold, which allows you to play most other online 360 games without paying anything other than the LIVE fee).
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Nuvo, do you collect information or what? Very nice and interesting reply, thank you =).

I too agree that the DC was really underrated, most of the nowaday kids say: "what? you own a Dreamcast? Such Crap?"... funny... they don't have a clue what they're talking about...

As I already mentioned, my favorite game is a Dreamcast game, however it got re-released at the X-Box, they bought the rights of part 3 as well (damn you =P)...

There are rumors, or there were, that Sega is building a new and improved version of the Dreamcast. There was a rumor about re-releasing the Dreamcast, but it never actually happened. About the first rumor: I truly hope so =)

1 little fact: The Sega Marketing Advisor, who was partly responsible for the downfall of the Dreamcast, works for Microsoft now, and guess what: he even got his marketing job, for the X-Box =P

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg

Nuvo wrote: »
    Yeah, the Dreamcast was a landmark console really, but the lack of advertising and the...
    Holy smokes Nuvo! Impressive. Have you considered becoming a content writer? I don't know what they make but you'd be a good one. I'd bet programming pays more though.

lurk, that Ajax does sound VERY old school. I forgot that I owned a Coleco, anyone had one?

Does anyone know if Pong is the oldest console? If not, what is?
    It is, Pong was created by some Japanese guy who was bored at work =P

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg

Yeh I think I had a coleco, just before me ZX81 which was terrible but i loved it lol
    Holy smokes Nuvo! Impressive. Have you considered becoming a content writer? I don't know what they make but you'd be a good one. I'd bet programming pays more though.

lurk, that Ajax does sound VERY old school. I forgot that I owned a Coleco, anyone had one?

Does anyone know if Pong is the oldest console? If not, what is?

Facts of life:
    My spelling are not great though me talk good or something...
    Firefox 2 really helps when I'm typing quickly though since it has spell checking (many of the mistakes are down to whacking the wrong keys at speed :[).
    I know a fair bit about the Dreamcast due to it being one of the disc based consoles I actually wanted to buy (I had very little interest in the Playstation because 80% of it's games were clones of each other, or games on older consoles).
    My deformed hands actually suited the DC controller as they're about 7" from the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger and one of my thumbs is shorter and wider (gaming has made me a monster >:0), but apparently, giant angular controllers with cords coming out of the bottom don't sell well in Asia (small people = tiny hands), which was also the problem with the Xbox controller, causing the creation of the S model, which was the base for the incredibly nice 360 controller.
    The DC used special discs while everyone else was using standard CD's.
    The DC used GD-ROM discs, which were like CD's, but they had a higher capacity due to how they were produced (a track for CD players, a track for PC's, an empty track and then a high density track, knocking the disc up to just over 1Gb capacity), but it is somewhat possible to make a normal CD reader read GD-ROM data by spoofing the reader using disc swapping, and the Dreamcast can play CD-ROM disc data (because the GD-ROM actually uses the same technology to some degree... This is how it got hacked, though Sega wasn't too bothered by people developing homebrew for it as long as it didn't cost them money, but I wouldn't know as I never got hold of anything like that... :]).
    Nuvo wrote: »
    the Dreamcast can play CD-ROM disc data (because the GD-ROM actually uses the same technology to some degree... This is how it got hacked, though Sega wasn't too bothered by people developing homebrew for it as long as it didn't cost them money

Holy cow, people could actually create their own games create and possibly sell them for the Dreamcast? Too bad the Dreamcast didn't get more popular then. They could have had a cottage industry of small time game developers creating Dreamcast games :D

I think one of the next generation game console makers should take that risk and make it possible for people to create their own games. I think this would make that console popular enough that console sales would offset the loss due to pirated software.

Do you think that could work?
    If you want a good example of that in action, just look up the old game Doom for the PC. That had such an easy creation engine that you could get level editors and make your own levels. From there you could package them together and make entire sets of levels that could rival the original itself.

After that it was easy to add hacks and stuff so you could change practically everything in the game. Not to mention that they left the developer hacks in as well which let you do practically anything as well!

I think it would work, I'd love the chance to make my own little games for the consoles I have :D
    Apparently, games made with ASCII's RPG Maker software can be made to run on a Dreamcast.
    I know for a fact that it's possible to run homebrew on a Dreamcast without modding it in any way as... er... I've seen it done and it means that you can run emulators for consoles such as the SNES on it.
    In fact, there was a boot disc for the Dreamcast, so copied games would play from CD's without any hardware changes.
    The use of a proprietary disc format was the only real form of piracy prevention, but since it could run CD's, this was easily broken, though some games either required modification to play, or simply never would if copied.
    Hmm yes, you just need to download the DC boot rom and you can edit your own stuff... check out the emulators for the DC, like the Snes emu and BLEEM!

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg

• fiona2412fiona2412 Member NAT Warrior
    The 3DO...I loved that..my friends b/f had one..we were always round there and he thought she loved him lol

We still have an Atari 2600 woody floating round the gaff...now what else...

Downstairs at the min and hooked up to the tv:
    PS2
    Xbox
    Gamecube (with GB player)
    Sega Saturn

Under the stairs or maybe the loft lol
    Dreamcast
    N64
    Snes
    Nes
    Mega Drive II
    Master Sytem
    Jaguar
    Gameboy
    Gameboy Color
    Gameboy Advance
    Gameboy Advance SP
    Did have 2 DS's but we sold them, DS got a DS lite (off his father) for his birthday but sold it unopened when he got a PSP off me and hubby :D

Upstairs on the bedroom tv
    PS1

In the bathroom (DON'T ASK!!)
    Sega Gamegear with TV adaptor

And then floating around somewhere in this **** hole we have 2 PSP's.

My fav game (at the minute) is GTA:Vice City in the PS2. I don't like the xbox controls. We have vice city on both ps2 and xbox. We also have GTA:III, San Andreas (ps2 and xbox) Liberty CIty Stories (PSP and PS2)

I've bought Dave a Wii for xmas, we will probably get the 360 next yr when it's a bit cheaper and the PS3 gonna have to wait for that to drop severly in price or mortgage the house to pay for it lol

I think we may have more console's not sure anymore :(
    Keep badgering hubby to sell them but nope...unless I sell my pigs which will never happen lol
    "I didn't lose my mind it was mine to give away" No Regrets by Robbie Williams

My Site
    My Deviantart