Help Me Eliminate My Cell Phone

I want to eliminate my cell phone by using my computer for all calls. This won't happen right away but I wonder if you might hlep me brainstorm a way to do this.

My plan so far:
1) I have Cellular Wireless for my laptop so I plan to use that instead of a phone.
2) I've sighned up for Skype and will purchase a outgoing minutes and a voicemail box (it's free for me to call from my computer to a land line or cell phone in the U.S.)
3) I will eventually upgrade to a very small computer with large battery capacity so I can carry it with me all day (Any suggestions on this by the way?).

Will this plan work so that I can eliminate my cell phone?
Any experienced Skype users out there that can give me some advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• GOBGOB Beginer NAT Warrior
    This won't work at all. You're not going to carry your laptop with you everywhere. Plus you would just look silly out in public.
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    GOB wrote: »
    This won't work at all. You're not going to carry your laptop with you everywhere. Plus you would just look silly out in public.

LOL, I don't mind looking silly :D
    It would feel good to beat the system and be able to eliminate my cell phone.
  • stusangelcazstusangelcaz Member NAT Warrior
    What if you get mugged for your laptop mid call? Your kinda stuffed then.
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    This will help you with all your problems regarding to your cell-phone. It guarantees a 100% effect: you'll never get stupid calls from bad ex-wives, advertising salesmen or creditors. This works!

kettingzaagbm6.jpg

I should become a salesman myself :cool:

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

lmao where can i get one of those?
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    Where can't you? =P

Sorry Deluxe, couldn't find an answer for your question, I thought just to light up the topic a little ^^

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

xPureNLx wrote: »
    This will help you with all your problems regarding to your cell-phone. It guarantees a 100% effect: you'll never get stupid calls from bad ex-wives, advertising salesmen or creditors. This works!

kettingzaagbm6.jpg

I should become a salesman myself :cool:

- xPureNLx

lmao LOL! I'll take two xPure!
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    It doesn't seem like its worth the extra effort.
    Just get one of these babies:
    http://tools.netgear.com/skype/
    Are they available in the UK yet or just the US?
    pfgannon wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like its worth the extra effort.
    Just get one of these babies:
    http://tools.netgear.com/skype/

Wow, I didn't know they made this. Thanks Gannon
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    The problem there is that it uses WiFi, meaning that it won't work unless you have access to a hotspot such as, well, your house (if you use wifi) or McDonalds :P

As for an ickle alternative to a laptop, take a look at the OQO?
    That thing has a 1Ghz CPU, 512Mb of RAM, a 30Gb HDD, touch screen, QWERTY keypad, bluetooth, wifi, USB, Firewire, a speaker, a mic, 8Mb 3D graphics and Windows XP Tablet Ed, meaning it's basically a PC in a PDA sized shell.
    Probably not going to be healthy on your bank account though at $1199 USD (over ?620 GBP), and with 3 hours of battery life, not perfect for constant use.
    http://www.oqo.com/

The main issue with getting rid of a mobile phone all together is that you will only be able to ring out and recive calls though Skype if you have your PC turned on since you can't call a Skype user who isn't signed it and online as you'll just be told that the user isn't available.
    Skype is best suited to people like my parents who have the PC on all day and like to chat with others who do the same.
    It wouldn't be practical for me to use Skype over a normal phone as I'm not always going to be at home or somewhere that I can use a PC.
    Phones also win out in terms of battery life, so I can happily trundle off to work for 3 days without my phone dying, but a laptop would be dead in a matter of hours.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    Nuvo wrote: »
    Phones also win out in terms of battery life, so I can happily trundle off to work for 3 days without my phone dying, but a laptop would be dead in a matter of hours.

Very true Nuvo, a 3 hour life phone won't do much good for business purposes. I guess I'll just have to pay the price and keep my phone :(