Feed Back On New CMS Frontpage?

As you can see, Kalina has completed the rough draft of our new CMS frontpage :) (Thanks Kalina, way to go!)

Now I need to give her feedback on whaat we like and don't about it. Feedback anyone?

Thanks! :hello:

Comments

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Nice, but way too wide, imho.
  • danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    omg eyegasm!!!

dude its fantastic! im totally digging the entire thing!!

GREAT JOB!!

[please add a php category so i can add my tutorials!]
    ban1.gif
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    It is too wide, the header stretches while the content doesn't and it takes far too long to load. IMHO, I don't like it.
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic Artists NAT Warrior
    I thought I would test in different resolutions for a feedback :)

I changed resolution to 800 x 600 and I have a scrollbar at the bottom and only half the page showing.
    On the resolution of 1024 x 768 it is very large
    On the resolution of 1152 x 864 it fits perfect into the middle
    On a higher resolution the pixels are stretching

Hope that helps.
    My Gallery
    WWWC Photoshop & Bryce Tutor
    Founder of TWInc
    Profession: KMA
    I am not a purple people eater :p
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    i like it but it does take a little bit too long to load, i also think as someone else has mentioned the header strtches but the rest doesnt, the header needs to be made the same width as the rest of the site
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    I think it looks pretty good, maybe a little graphic intensive but still good.

The main issue I have with it however, are the tables! IMO any webmaster site should be DIV/CSS based, as it shows that the site is up to date with current trends not to mention usability and accessability.
  • LurkinBackLurkinBack Senior Member The Royal RAM
    The overall feel of it I like. The colours work well. However, is it just me or do the content boxes look unfinished. I sat waiting for it to finish loading only to find it had.

The difference when going from the front page to the rest of the forum is a bit severe. Now I know blending of two different systems will have variations in design etc but are there plans to bring the rest of the forum in line with the front, or vice versa?
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Ok, I was in a rush when I made that previous reply, here's more detail:

1. Woah, the loading time seems to be over 30 seconds. You must be joking...?
    2. Those 4 or 5 buttons at the top are much to tall to contain one word of text, IMHO.
    3. The search function would look better to the right of the aforementioned buttons.
    4. It's STILL loading... I mean, come on...
    5. Drop one of the side columns. Three column designs are way overrated, imho, and not professional at all. The page would also be a nice width if one column was removed. If that makes the other smaller column longer, so be it. I'd rather scroll down than across.
    6. The little curvy image at the top of each section does not quite blend in with the box below. It's more noticeable on the blue than the silver and even then it's very hard to see, but it's certainly there.
    Still.

- CBG
  • WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I really think it's great, it's really fantastic.

Really great job, you made there!!
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    1: Not compatible with resolutions below 1024x768 (not world ending, but scrolling is annoying and avoidable).
    2: Three column designs aren't just overrated, they're near enough endangered as designers find that 2 column designs usually provide enough room and are easier to work with (more content space and less hassle to resize for lower resolutions as you're only making two percentile columns, not three).
    3: Tables make me sad :[
    4: 23 errors in the source code including tags which were closed in the wrong order (as in <div><strong>This</div></strong> rather than <div><strong>This</strong></div>).
    5: Very wide columns where they aren't needed (reducing the column width and possibly the height of the content headers would give you more space).
    6: The horizontal navigation buttons don't need to be quite so big as they aren't exactly holding much.

With the height of the main content section of the page, you could move most of the right hand column's content over without any big problems relating to increased scrolling.
    There's a search box under the horizontal nav bar, so there's no need for another one in the left column.
    Site stats aren't really that interesting and don't need to be displayed on the main page as anyone who actually cares about that kind of thing could just go to a stats page.

Why is the "latest announcements" box down at the bottom of the right column?
    Surely this would be better higher up so that it can be seen, or even better at the top of the main content just above the other content.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    I must be getting blind, but at my 1280x1024 resolution I hardly see differences. I must say: I still love the layout...

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

• WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    yeah, i don't even see the differences, i actually think it's great.
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • GinavereGinavere Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Hmm... I use a 800 x 600 and it looks.. well very off and I have to scroll from side to side.... on 1024 x 768 it is very large, on 1600 x 1200 I decide to see how the looked and it looked okay.. Because of my eye sight I stink to 800 x 600 or 950 x600 and the majority of the web sites I go to look great.. they seem to have figured out how to make their site look perfect for all esolutions.
    There?s a miracle of friendship that dwells within the heart And you don?t know how it happens or where it gets its start But the happiness it brings you always gives a special lift Any you realize that friendship Is God?s most perfect gift.
    --Anon
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    they seem to have figured out how to make their site look perfect for all resolutions.
    If the design is thin enough, resolutions aren't a big issue as the main portion of the design should have enough room to show well.
    Another thing to do is to use percentile dimensions.
    That way, you end up with something which should generally be resolution independant and which should look virtually the same across them all, barring images on the page which don't use CSS as these can stretch the layout.
    If you've got a site with two columns that's got measurements of 80% & 20%, it can be a lot easier to use on lower resolutions than a two column design with measurements of 500px & 200px.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    Nuvo wrote: »
    If you've got a site with two columns that's got measurements of 80% & 20%, it can be a lot easier to use on lower resolutions than a two column design with measurements of 500px & 200px.

hmm yes, but using the % instead of pixels, you aren't really able to use several designs, eh, you have to stick to a few layout-types.

Damn it's hard to explain something when you don't know the words for it in English...

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

• DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    MGDesigns wrote: »
    ...it takes far too long to load.

Thanks for all this great feedback everyone!
    Load speed now much faster.

I'll be adding more categories as requested.
  • stusangelcazstusangelcaz Member NAT Warrior
    For me, the white text on the silver blocks is a real problem. I actually have difficulty reading it. Thats the only real problem which affects me.
    For me, the white text on the silver blocks is a real problem. I actually have difficulty reading it. Thats the only real problem which affects me.

Thanks Stusan! :) I noticed the same thing and forgot to mention it to Kalina. This will be fixed.
    Nuvo wrote: »
    4: 23 errors in the source code including tags which were closed in the wrong order (as in <div><strong>This</div></strong> rather than <div><strong>This</strong></div>).
    Double check us for erros again as I believe most are now fixed :)