.mht

MGDesignsMGDesigns AdminVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
Is it possible to disable site visitors from saving pages as .mht? :mad: :banghead:
A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
-
ModGirl Design
My ArtWanted Portfolio
Renderosity Gallery

Comments

• DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    I don't have the answer but am just curious if they did this to you already at your new site Moddy? What did they save? (sorry to hear about that :()
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Yes it has happened already Bryant, one of my tutorials has been saved to someone's PC by the name of Martha Sanchez :(
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • RadavanRadavan Beginner Link Clerk
    MGDesigns wrote: »
    Is it possible to disable site visitors from saving pages as .mht? :mad: :banghead:

This won't help you with the .mht problem, but I'd recommend that stop the most basic theft first, stop people from right clicking to copy and past your files.
    Here is the "No right-click script" (paste into the header tags)

<script language=JavaScript>
    <!--

//Disable right click script III- By Renigade (renigade@mediaone.net)
    //For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

var message="";
    ///////////////////////////////////
    function clickIE() {if (document.all) {(message);return false;}}
    function clickNS(e) {if
    (document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!document.all)) {
    if (e.which==2||e.which==3) {(message);return false;}}}
    if (document.layers)
    {document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);document.onmousedown=clickNS;}
    else{document.onmouseup=clickNS;document.oncontextmenu=clickIE;}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("return false")
    // -->
    </script>

The downside is people can find ways to get around any protection you add, so the trick is, if you can't beat them, at least get some free advertising out of it.
    Turn all of your tutorials into images and then watermark them with your URL. Now everyone that steals your tutorials will be sending traffic your way, making your lemons into lemonaid.
    www.Microsoft.com"Believe In the Future"
    I'd rather not have JS on my pages other than my StatCounter, thanks for trying though :)

I've also updated my site blog to vent my anger.
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • KalinaKalina WP Staff Link Clerk
    What's .mht? Anyway, no, it's not possible to prevent it, there's always a way around it, people will always be able to save your page no matter what code you stick in, sorry about that.

They probably saved it to work on it offline, as some people's internet time is limited.
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    It happens a lot, there is no direct sollution for it I think. You could always mention something like "all these tutorials are copyrighted by blabla" in your terms of use.

The right-click script is kinda outdated I think. CTRL+A - CTRL+C - CTRL+V works any time...

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

• KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic Artists NAT Warrior
    There is a way to prevent it but its hard work and that is to use HTML Guard, it scrambles the source and makes it impossible to save the pages. However its very time consuming.
    My Gallery
    WWWC Photoshop & Bryce Tutor
    Founder of TWInc
    Profession: KMA
    I am not a purple people eater :p
    Kalina wrote: »
    What's .mht? Anyway, no, it's not possible to prevent it, there's always a way around it, people will always be able to save your page no matter what code you stick in, sorry about that.

They probably saved it to work on it offline, as some people's internet time is limited.
    MHT is a web archive file.
    They probably did, but it is not the point they did not ask permission.
    xPureNLx wrote: »
    It happens a lot, there is no direct sollution for it I think. You could always mention something like "all these tutorials are copyrighted by blabla" in your terms of use.

The right-click script is kinda outdated I think. CTRL+A - CTRL+C - CTRL+V works any time...

- xPureNLx
    Thank you Pure, already got TOU set up - the page gets loaded less than once every 100 page loads.
    Katra wrote: »
    There is a way to prevent it but its hard work and that is to use HTML Guard, it scrambles the source and makes it impossible to save the pages. However its very time consuming.
    URGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH There has to be another way Katra, you know I don't like encrypting my coding ;)
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • KatraKatra UK's Top 10 Graphic Artists NAT Warrior
    not yet Moddy :(
    My Gallery
    WWWC Photoshop & Bryce Tutor
    Founder of TWInc
    Profession: KMA
    I am not a purple people eater :p
    MHT is a web archive file.

Thank you Pure, already got TOU set up - the page gets loaded less than once every 100 page loads.

Actually it's up to the visitor to read them or not. If he/she violates the TOU it's his/her fault, not yours =P.

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg

xPureNLx wrote: »
    Actually it's up to the visitor to read them or not. If he/she violates the TOU it's his/her fault, not yours =P.

- xPureNLx

I know this, I'm studying Intellectual Property Law :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Wow, cool so you are studying the laws, becoming lawyer?
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
    Yes, slowly but surely :)
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    Wow, good to have a lawyer as a friend :)
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Just a small note:
    JavaScript defence methods do not work and never actually have.
    You can disable right clicking, but this does not disable the browser options in it's drop down menu's.
    Also, anyone who really wants to get at your content would just turn JavaScript off, which pretty much negates any capabilities of JavaScript since unlike PHP, ASP, Rails or any other server side framework or language, JavaScript must be enabled in the client (browser) for it to function, and since you can't really force them to have JS turned on unless you don't mind losing users who don't use it (including some with disabilities), you're pretty much stuck.
    Even if it were possible to make a site which was protected by some form of copy protection, simply hitting "print screen" will give the user an image of what they are reading, meaning they can get around the protection with ease if they really want to.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    Thank you Nuvo, this along with not wanting to clog up the pages with scripts is why I didn't want a JS solution :)

I've heard that it's also possible to disable the ability to screenshot, whether it's done via Client/Server-Side Scripting or HTML Guard, I'm not quite sure.
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    Nuvo, your posts are unbelieveable, you are just like the best paid poster in the world, lol your posts are so descriptive, and so interesting to read.. Keep up the good work mate!
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
    Yes, I agree with your WatchOut. Nuvo, you sure know where you're talking about, it's interesting to read your replies. Mostly, I don't know the stuff you reply with, so please, keep it up =).

- xPureNLx
    signaru02am7.jpg

Yeah, almost 40 % of his posts are new to me, he's a great member!
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Thank you Nuvo, this along with not wanting to clog up the pages with scripts is why I didn't want a JS solution :)

I've heard that it's also possible to disable the ability to screenshot, whether it's done via Client/Server-Side Scripting or HTML Guard, I'm not quite sure.

Disabling the print screen key is done with JavaScript, but it's frowned upon and easy to beat because, like the other options, it's just JavaScript.
    This would only really function if the user had JS enabled and had the browser in focus (the currently selected window) as turning JS off or focusing on something else would usually allow print screen to function (I could open a text file over the browser and make it almost completely transparent with Beryl effects, which would allow me to grab a decent image).
    Also, killing the print screen key will not prevent screen capture tools such as Wink from functioning, and it's also seen as a bad thing if you use JavaScript to effectively break the users system.

Lets face it, you'd have to have a script which would work on:
    Internet Explorer 6
    Internet Explorer 7
    Netscape Navigator
    Opera 7, 8 & 9
    Mozilla Suite \ Seamonkey
    Konquerer
    Firefox
    Safari
    And any other browser you could mention, running under:
    Windows 95 - Vista
    Apple OS 8 - X
    Linux (Gnome, KDE, Openbox, E17 and so on and so forth if they change anything to do with the keyboard layout)
    BSD
    And even after getting it running on those, it'd have to block print screen, source viewing, right clicking, cut, copy & paste and so on and so forth, meaning it's not worth it (the user could just leave the page open if they wanted, which is the easiest way of keeping the content on screen, and they could just copy it into a text editor by hand).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    Oh I knew it was possible I just don't see the whole point to it, Katra and I deal with situations like this over in TWI on a daily basis with some our members thinking that filling their pages with JavaScript will protect their tutorials. :(
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    Wow thanks for your tip Nuvo. Extremly helpful, i always like your posts.
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com