UK Members: thelondonpaper publisher claims many UK city domain names

From the Article:
"News International has registered the names of at least 10 potential UK city newspapers along with thelondonpaper, its new afternoon free launched in the capital last month.

Press Gazette has learnt that thebirminghampaper, thebristolpaper, themanchesterpaper, thehullpaper, theleedspaper, theyorkpaper, theedinburghpaper, theglasgowpaper, thecardiffpaper and theliverpoolpaper have been bought as internet domain names by the company. All have been registered as .com and.co.uk domains."
http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/article/051006/thelondonpaper_publisher_claims_city_domain_name

Comments

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    News International is just an arm of News Corporation, the owners of MySpace and Fox.
    They already publish many news papers over here including The Sun and The News of the World (both of which are like many other NC products... Pretty bad), so this isn't overly shocking to me.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    makes you wonder why these names haven't been registered by uk webmasters earlier? i would have thought that someone would have registered all such names long time ago.
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    daboss wrote: »
    makes you wonder why these names haven't been registered by uk webmasters earlier? i would have thought that someone would have registered all such names long time ago.
    It is strange, it would have seemed like a good idea to register them. In a way it's good news because it shows that there are still good domains that are available to be registered.

I think the reason they were still available is that domain prospectors/Webmasters don't usually like the "The" in a domain. That will reduce the domains value as it will bleed traffic to the version without the "the". It just doesn't look as good. I have a domain, TheSaveShop.com that would be fabulous except for the "The". However, SaveShop.com is worth a mint.