Website Pet Peeves?

What are your website Pet Peeves? What get's on your nevers when you visit new site?

I've been encountering these new floating ads that don't let me click on the content behnind them. They've gotten me so mad that I had to post this! :banghead:
You know the ones I'm talking about?

Comments

• MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Background music that can't be switched off and multitudes of JavaScript :banghead:
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    flash ads that go over the website, similar to pop ups/unders but your pop up blocker cant block them - why dont people take the hint - pop up blockers were made for a reason
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Pop-up's, pop-under's, poor use of colour, bad Javascript \ DHTML \ AJAX and poor use of English for site content.

I visit sites to use those sites, not to be bombarded with adverts for things I'll never need to buy, and when I do actually get to read the content, I'd like to be able to do so without straining my eyes, without figuring out how to use some arcane navigation which the designer thought was cool to look at and without using an English to idiot dictionary.

There's no need to type like you're typing a message on a mobile phone when you're posting to the web as you're not limited, you have a full keyboard and there's no substantial gain from removing half the letters (unless you want to seriously cut document sizes and hate any users who don't worship AOL).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • RadavanRadavan Beginner Link Clerk
    I hate boring sites with no pictures like ww w.Linux.com
    Content may be king, but for the love of god, give me some eye candy!
    www.Microsoft.com"Believe In the Future"
    The main point of Linux.com (not the official Linux site by the way, as there isn't one) is to be used in conjunction with an RSS feed reader so that users can get access to the latest Linux related articles without the hassle of obfusticated menu systems, horrible coding abilities and poor server performance.

If you want something to meet your "I don't care if it crashes and uses enough power to tear a hole in the fabric of the spacetime continuum, thus killing us all... IT HAS A NEW SKIN AND MORE USELESS FEATURES!!!" view on the internet, try looking at sites which are actually there to plug and distribute the OS's, rather than sites which basically equate to Slashdot for one specific topic.
    There's Red Hat, Ubuntu, Novell (SuSE) and many others...
    All of their sites are just as good looking as Microsoft.com, and many are faster to use as well.

Also, why hide the fact that your site supports RSS feeds by placing the link right down at the bottom with the legal info when every half decent browser (I don't know about Internet Explorer, which is why I said decent browsers, but you should be able to clear this up as you're probably using IE6) will show a button in the address bar for RSS enabled sites which use the auto discovery tags.

P.S.
    I clicked the feed subscription button about 10 minutes ago and still nothing has happened (and yes, I do know how to use Firefox... I've been using it since Phoenix \ Firebird).
    Jeeze, either Microsoft is trying to bone people who don't use their products again (only allowing Explorer to use their sites correctly), or they have bloody slow servers (I would have said something about patches, but it's Wednesday, not Tuesday).
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
  • stusangelcazstusangelcaz Member NAT Warrior
    I hate websites that have been designed with MS Paint and look like my Guinea Pig could have done better. I know this guy who thinks Paint is superior to the likes of Photoshop and PSP and wont use anything else. End result? His site is a shambles and looks really unprofessional. Its a shame, especially since the site hes built is to promote his home town.
  • LurkinBackLurkinBack Senior Member The Royal RAM
    I agree with Nuvo. If you have plenty of room and no size restrictions there is absolutely no need for Nokia-speak! :mad:
  • WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Hmm, that must really be the annoying pop-ups, and sometimes i hate on some websites they have a music, i honestly dislike that.
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
    I hate websites that have been designed with MS Paint and look like my Guinea Pig could have done better. I know this guy who thinks Paint is superior to the likes of Photoshop and PSP and wont use anything else. End result? His site is a shambles and looks really unprofessional. Its a shame, especially since the site hes built is to promote his home town.

Surprisingly, Paint and similarly low end graphics tools are better for some tasks than Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or GIMP.
    Sprite graphics, for example, are easily made with Paint because it does exactly what you'd need... A grid, a pencil tool and no anti-aliasing as standard.
    A fair number of the pixel icons available were probably done in such simple editors as the advanced features that make PS and other big editors slow just aren't needed.
    Nuvo wrote: »
    Surprisingly, Paint and similarly low end graphics tools are better for some tasks than Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or GIMP.
    Sprite graphics, for example, are easily made with Paint because it does exactly what you'd need... A grid, a pencil tool and no anti-aliasing as standard.
    A fair number of the pixel icons available were probably done in such simple editors as the advanced features that make PS and other big editors slow just aren't needed.

Paint isnt good for resizing photographs though, which, by the looks of things, is what this guy has done. What are sprite graphics btw?
    Sprites are usually associated with 16bit console games such as Super Mario World.
  • GinavereGinavere Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Easu, trialing cursors drives me batty, tons of glitter which makes the website looks like a cheap hotel in Vegas, ads that you cannot get rid of, tons of java, webpages which have tiny pints and won't allow you to use the mouse ball and ctlr key to make the font readable. Loud insulting music, if I want to hear loud music I'll listen to my own thank you very much, tons and tons of pictures or graphics that are not shattered throughout the page in no orde.. and well if I continue I'll be here until next year.
    There?s a miracle of friendship that dwells within the heart And you don?t know how it happens or where it gets its start But the happiness it brings you always gives a special lift Any you realize that friendship Is God?s most perfect gift.
    --Anon
  • WatchOutWatchOut Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Yeah the cursors are also very annoyin', agreed to 100 percent.
    Computer Forumz

www.computerforumz.com
    Best way to stop that annoying music, is to hit the stop key on the browser LOL.
  • design1design1 Beginner Link Clerk
    pop ups.. especially in the middle of the page over the content. I would never click them due to the placement alone. But I really can't stand the ones that trick you into clicking them. Slow loading pages, FLASH, music on sites that plays 100% louder than my music already playing that makes me jump and slam down the mute button on my keyboard and stare at the site and wonder why on earth that was necessary. lol :)
    Templates Resource - Thousands of Web Templates, Web Graphics, Scripts, Tutorials, SEO Tools and more!!
  • SweetSweet Junior Member Shared Hoster

I've been encountering these new floating ads that don't let me click on the content behnind them. They've gotten me so mad that I had to post this! :banghead:
    You know the ones I'm talking about?

OMG I hate those things!

And .... why whenever I visit some sites am I always the one that has won the prize?????

*chuckles*
  • fiona2412fiona2412 Member NAT Warrior
    Not read all the threads, but for me I agree with Moddy, people who add music to their site but don't add a way to turn it off. I love music but some of the sh*t people add to their sites it just cr*p!!

I also hate those ad's that you can't get rid of and that hide the content of the site. I understand people wanting to make pennies by having adverts but when the advert obstructs the site I just close the page
    "I didn't lose my mind it was mine to give away" No Regrets by Robbie Williams

My Site
    My Deviantart