Two small templates

NuvoNuvo Forum LeaderVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
Hello peoples of the internet.

As you probably don't care to know, I've been working on a thing for a while now.
This thing accepts some form of templates, which are basically HTML, CSS, images and a few very minor snippets of embeded Ruby (none of which is spectacular as they only call predefined functions for things like printing a list of links... in a list).
Anyway, I happened to have an old template from my time working with PHP, which I was quite fond of when I created it, so I decided to work it into my new thing.
On top of that (before I tweaked the old design to work correctly with it), I built a new template from scratch, which is designed to be more blog like in terms of it's look and feel.
So, here they are:
macintoshnerfgunsxn0.th.png
XHTML 1.0 valid, CSS2 valid, no tables, stretches vertically to suit (menu and content stretch independantly), images made with Fireworks MX, code done with various tools as it was first built under windows, but later edited with jEdit under Ubuntu.
Non-engine features: the horizontal nav-bar, which does use Rails' link_to_unless_current link creation tag (only creates links if you're not already there), but nothing I've written into the engine.

simplemindscj8.th.png
XHTML 1.0 valid, CSS2 valid, no tables, stretches vertically with independance as before, images made with Xara Xtreme for Linux (go Open Source... unless you use Windows :D), code done with jEdit under Ubuntu 6.06.
Non-engine features: None really (not needed).

Anyway, feel free to say these suck or something.

Note: If you like using FireFox as a developer tool, you will like the toolbar I have, which is called Web Developer by Chris Pederick.
It lets you play with various things and has a number of little tools like rulers and the ability to draw outlines around elements (handy for tutorials?).
PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
Current project: CMS Object.
Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
Release date: NEVER!!!

Comments

• DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    This is interesting Nuvo. Is this new site some sort of custom content management system?

When you get further along on this, would you post an update with the URL so we can take a look?
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Yes, these are running on a blog \ CMS system of mine.
    I don't currently have the hosting for it and it's still being worked on, but at the moment, it allows me to use it for building basic sites.

It's currently known as CMS Object (though Python owns that name, so this will probably change at some point) and it's built with Ruby on Rails.
    It allows for page creation, blog posting and a few other things without going into the dark realms of really bad coding (the code is pretty much 100% valid XHTML 1.0, it uses CSS everywhere and it even uses AJAX for usability).

There's a few kinks which make it less suited to distrobution than other systems, but these can be worked out in the future (one annoyance is with the markdown and textile GEM's for Ruby & Rails not working 100%, but if I can find out how to make Markdown play fair with newlines and can hack in highlighted code tags, it'll be good... Highlighting is currently done with HTML <code></code> tags).

I'm actually running it now as I've been hacking up the ACP a bit to make it more usable without losing features.
    If I ever make use of this, I'll probably have some support for multiple users so that I can log in as a fully enabled admin and others can log in as guests that can see what it does without nuking anything.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    Nuvo wrote: »
    I don't currently have the hosting for it and it's still being worked on, but at the moment, it allows me to use it for building basic sites.

It's currently known as CMS Object

I like the name "CMS Object", very professional sounding. Let us know when it goes live, would love to see the finished product.
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Yeah, but the problem there is that Python owns the domain for that, and it's not in the league of, say Radiant CMS or Typo as of yet (two very fine systems... Typo is more of a blogging system like (dare I plug something that might have died?) Birdblog, while Radiant is closer to Textpattern).