Microsoft sues cybersquatters

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2006...?partner=alerts

"The Redmond, Wash., software giant said cybersquatters and typosquatters - people who register Web addresses either with trademarked terms or with common misspellings in the hopes of luring Web surfers who mistype addresses into their browsers - are now registering more than 2,000 domains each day targeting Microsoft.

The vast majority of the sites, which have addresses like "microsoftrebate.com," "xbox36com.com" and "msnfinance.com," are bought by professional operations that place nothing on the pages but pay-per-click ads served by online-ad networks, Microsoft said. About a quarter of the sites use privacy services to disguise their identities. {@}

Comments

• whitefangwhitefang Beginner Link Clerk
    Thats not surprising. Alot of money is to be made by doing this and for once I think that I am agreement with Microsoft's lawsuit.
  • JohnJohn Junior Member NAT Warrior
    I'd agree too, they shouldn't be allowed to get away with this sort of thing. I find it annoying mistyping a url then ending up with a page either full of ads or popups.
    [+] JSlane Designs
    [+] JSlane Hosts
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    John wrote: »
    I'd agree too, they shouldn't be allowed to get away with this sort of thing. I find it annoying mistyping a url then ending up with a page either full of ads or popups.

I agree with you but you wouldn't believe how much money is made from these typo domains that people put parking pages at all over the internet. The internet still is the wild west.