Gaming Template

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
I have finally decided to actually pay for a webdesign template. Ive chosen one, im not gonna show you quite yet but it will soon be the new design for www.gamingbedlam.com

Basically the whole point of this topic is to get your view on template purchases. If youve got the money do you think their worth it?

The Royal Ram

Comments

• ChroderChroder Senior Member The Royal RAM
    I don't like to buy templates. Part of owning a site is so I can take pride in the work the I did. I was going to buy one a while ago but the thought of having someone else's work as the main theme to my site made me think otherwise.
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    yup i actually feel the same way. but then considering the fact that i cant create anything near what the template design is i thinks its worth it.

i wouldnt do it for all my sites. only for one so then i have other sites which i can work with on my own

The Royal Ram

• DMo224DMo224 WP V.I.P. NAT Warrior
    IMO, it would depend on what the site is used for. If it's my site about html, using a template would not give credibility to the site. If it's a site for conducting some business other than webmastering, then I'd definitely consider it if there was something that I liked and I could edit it.
  • ChroderChroder Senior Member The Royal RAM
    That's true. For a professional site you need to make an impact so it might be worth hiring someone to make one or buying one.

A gaming site needs to have some sort of "wow" factor as well, so all in all I s'pose I would have done the same :p
    well theres is one big problem....when i ordered the template it said that the credit card used needed to be verified by sending either a dricing licelnce, credit card statement or a picture of the card with blanked out numbers.

so i did. i sent the pic with blanked out number to them via fax..but they say that they havent received it...for the second time. im just wondering whether its got something to do with the fact that im sending it from uk to US.

i could have just sent them a scan of the image but i dont have a copatible scanner and i dont have the leads for my digital camera :(

so im kinda stuck at the moment :(

The Royal Ram

• pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    ive never heard of having to send in a picture of the card...seems odd
    its because they have a very strict antifraud check. i done it through www.templatemonster.com which infact use www.template-help.com to sell their templates

The Royal Ram

• tntcheatstntcheats Senior Member The Royal RAM
    That's interesting that they'd have it so strict... But, can't you send them the drivers license, and use one of your parents' credit cards? Or send them the statement?

I personally don't buy templates. I think it's better practice (practice at site design) to make them myself, and lets me get exactly what I want. If I want to make a gaming website that suites the style of most gaming websites I'll just go to a ton of gaming sites and simply write notes of what I like and dislike about them. I incorperate what I like, and then check to make sure it looks good. I also design and redesign it alot. On the current website I'm on, it's on design number seventeen (yay).

Most templates are put together with a WYSIWYG editor anyways, aren't they?
  • rallyfanrallyfan Advanced User VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    yup i totally agree with that tnt well this site was.

i think

:lol:
    for the sake of old times!

:)
    i already tried sending them a fax with the cc statement and a driving licence but they didnt receive it. probably cause im in uk not US

The Royal Ram

Are you able to mail it to them? Do they allow that?

Try contacting their tech suppor and see if you can sort this out. There must be an alternative means of paying them or transferring the required faxes.
    yes i know its very stupid how they work. i will contact them soon to find out any other methods. its just that their live support chat room guys said no.

The Royal Ram

• david_sakhdavid_sakh Junior Member Shared Hoster
    i prefer making the pages myself. There's a greater sense of personal satisfaction.
  • cptnwinkycptnwinky Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Yeah, for me, there is nothing better than never finishing a design and realizing how un-talented I am....

I don't see the difference in buying a good template or hiring a designer, essentially they are the same only one costs less as you do most of the work to integrate and add content.
    PM me for small freelance php jobs.
    I have never been too needy but I lost my job due to the company shutting down our location. I just had a child and live in a pretty depressed area at the moment. I need some freelance work fairly bad.
  • deadfingersdeadfingers Senior Member The Royal RAM
    teh difference is in that u put ur hard work into one and when ur finally done wit a design u like u get that satisfaction u dont get wit paying someone. i too have thought about doing the same but it IS good practice and even if it takes me foreever and gives me headaches at times i know i made it and i save cash too. theres nothing like dys stuff.
    sig.jpg
    i will probably actually close the site down - its dead

The Royal Ram

Unless Paul (fourtone87)'s still interested in it, I suggest you sell it at the forums at
    http://www.vgamin.com or at least promote the sale there.
    at the moment it is pointing to DevDreams. I may in fact simply give it away to a high poster of this forum.

The Royal Ram