New Release of Xubuntu

Nuvo knew about this coming release months ago, but a new Release of Xubuntu 6.06.1 is available and can be downloaded from:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Releases?action=show&redirect=XubuntuRelease

Comments

• MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    How about sticking it in Computer Talk? ;)
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    MGDesigns wrote:
    How about sticking it in Computer Talk? ;)

Someone give that girl a hand. Good idea Moddy, I've moved this thread to Computer Talk :thumbsup:
    hehe so I see ;)
    You're very welcome :D
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Hahahahaa...
    I've had Xubuntu 6.06 for ages.
    Xubuntu was origionally released as an add on to Ubuntu in the same way that Kubuntu's software can be downloaded and installed.
    Actually, I have Gnome, KDE, XFCE and Openbox, which basically means I have Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu and such already installed and ready to go.

I knew they were planning on bringing out a dedicated XFCE disc for Ubuntu, but I didn't know when it was coming and since I already had Ubuntu "breezy" at the time, I installed the Xubuntu pack and updated to Ubuntu 6.06 (XFCE is just the desktop environment).

Personally, I like using Gnome, but XFCE is a wonderful little desktop for systems where you don't want anything flashy which will eat into your system, such as small home servers and older computers.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    whoooooooooooooooooooooooosh <<thats the plane flying WAY over my head :rofl:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    Nuvo wrote:
    Hahahahaa...
    I've had Xubuntu 6.06 for ages.
    Xubuntu was origionally released as an add on to Ubuntu in the same way that Kubuntu's software can be downloaded and installed.
    Actually, I have Gnome, KDE, XFCE and Openbox, which basically means I have Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu and such already installed and ready to go.
    I knew they were planning on bringing out a dedicated XFCE disc for Ubuntu, but I didn't know when it was coming and since I already had Ubuntu "breezy" at the time, I installed the Xubuntu pack and updated to Ubuntu 6.06 (XFCE is just the desktop environment).
    Personally, I like using Gnome, but XFCE is a wonderful little desktop for systems where you don't want anything flashy which will eat into your system, such as small home servers and older computers.
    Nuvo, can I please rent your brain just for one day? Mine hurts right now. If I knew half of what was in there...
    I wish I knew half of what my dad knows...
    Do you know how many times I've come across little note books with wiring diagrams or had him quote shakespear down to the last little detail?
    He near enough has Shakespear's work submitted to memory even though he wasn't the most well behaved person in his youth.

By the way, did you know that tyres on a car do not protect you from electicity, it's the metal in the car creating a Faraday cage (electricity always takes the path of least resistance, so if it hits the metal in the car, you don't get dead unless you touch the metal).
    Also, a human cannot travel at the speed of light without being crushed as the closer you get to the speed of light, the heavier you become, meaning that you'd become too heavy to go any faster.
    It is theoretically possible to travel over massive distances in little time by warping space (this is what Enterprise does in Star Trek), but in order to do it, you'd need the energy of a thousand suns or so, which we don't currently have lying around.

Just to go over your heads a bit more (and from memory too).
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    The Shakespear I get, electricity and lightning too, yep and speed of light and Lurk is a complete Star Trek nut and has drove me nuts with LOL
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • SadSackSadSack Beginner Link Clerk
    What is Xubuntu and all these other strange words? I think techies are on drugs.
    LOL You could be right SadSack :rofl:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    SadSack wrote: »
    What is Xubuntu and all these other strange words? I think techies are on drugs.

Ubuntu is African for "Humanity to others" and it was used as Mark Shuttleworth (founder of Thawte, first African into space and very, very rich) is one of the main backers of the project.

Since Ubuntu uses Gnome by default, people who wanted to use other desktop environments needed to either install them or have another Linux distrobution which used those desktop environments and applications tailored to them.
    As Mark is an easy going kind of guy, he let these extra distrobutions work with Ubuntu, but with different names so that they could be recognised easily.
    XFCE and KDE are two other big players when it comes to desktop environments, so two different distro's popped up for them in the form of Kubuntu and Xubuntu.

Basically, Ubuntu is the main distro, EdUbuntu is an educational version of the stock Ubuntu with apps aimed at edutainment for kids (learning while having fun), Kubuntu is for KDE users and it has KDE apps rather than Gnome apps and Xubuntu is designed for people with less powerful hardware, or those looking for something that won't take much space as XFCE is a lot smaller than other desktops.

Kubuntu is an actual word though, meaning "towards humanity" apparently.
  • NitishNitish Beginner Link Clerk
    Do the Visual effects match tht of Vista?