Can you...

MGDesignsMGDesigns AdminVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
Name 5 things that got you interested in coding, design etc and/or the Internet in general?
or
Remember the first site you ever visited?
-If you can, what was it?
A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
-
ModGirl Design
My ArtWanted Portfolio
Renderosity Gallery

Comments

• DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    Unfortunately, the first site I ever visited was AOL.com :( Now I think AOL is a sad/silly company that is out of touch with today's market.

What got me interested is that I saw the power of websites, and thought to myself, Webmasters are gods! With the influence they can wield with a website, and the numbers of people they can reach, I still think they are Gods.
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    What got me into web development and design... HMMM...

Well, when I was young, I used to dismantle radio controled cars and build new ones and I was always into things like Lego, so basically, I liked building things and general nerdery.
    When I first got online, I thought "hey, everyone else has a site, why don't I get one!" and decided to build a site of my own.
    I started off with Angelfire or something just as awful and made a very poor site (as you do).
    I happened upon the View Source option in my browser and looked at the code for some better looking sites and thought "wait, I'm not killing this thing, that stupid pagemaker is!" and started using Google and such to learn HTML 4.01 properly.
    Now I use XHTML and CSS without tables (unless it's for tabular data!).

My interests in design came from having other family members which can draw pretty well and seeing some other incredibly tallented artists on some of the sites I visited.
    While I would have loved to have been capable of drawing, being the only left handed person in my family pretty much killed that, but since I use a mouse like a right handed person, hope was not completely lost.
    Though I couldn't really do much in terms of drawing, I learned to use vector graphics software and got to be decent enough at graphics to do site templates.

The thing that got me into the internet was the fact that it holds virtually infinite possibilities as it not only connects millions of people from around the world and acts as the largest pool of information that has exver existed, but it also acts as a place where you can voice your views without fear of the usual flack you'd get and it gives the little people a chance to get one over on giant corporations so that they can go from being Joe Nobody to the next big thing.
    I mean, look at Linux which has gone from a hackers attempt at building a free unix clone to the OS that powers most of the Internet and other servers we use today, or ebay and YouTube, which have both gone from small budget sites to multi-million dollar companies (YouTube is now worth $500million and ebay would cost you your soul if you wanted to buy it... also, find the connection).

The first site I ever visited was probably my ISP's homepage and then a search engine like Google or Altavista.
    Not much has changed as I still use Google a dozen times a day.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Thanks for replying ;)
    Very interesting answers :D

I started off much the same as Nuvo, however it was and I dread admitting it LOL MSN Groups, but it was called communities back then. The lack of ability to do anything other than layered backgrounds in tables annoyed me no end. So I started looking at the source code of different sites and started playing around with HTML in Notepad (horrible nasty editor I know).

However I also tinkered with stuff as a kid, brother was none too happy when he found I took his CB to pieces ;) even though it was put back together fine and with clearer reception *snicker*

Anyone remember learning BASIC on BBC Computers? lol
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • pink.aquarianpink.aquarian Beginner Link Clerk
    I think the first site i ever visited was yahoo, way back 1998 or 1999. and i got really interested in coding when i wanted to build a website for my band and for my school a couple of years back. i was really young when i first discovered the internet. i was only 16 then, and most of my classmates didnt even have any idea about what it is. guess there were advantages about being a daughter of a software developer in my country during those times. :)
    I guess there were advantages about being a daughter of a software developer in my country during those times. :)

What country is that Pink? What company does your dad work for?
  • pink.aquarianpink.aquarian Beginner Link Clerk
    What country is that Pink? What company does your dad work for?

In the Philippines, DeluxeNames. He worked for a College, but he died a couple of years back. During those times, there weren't a lot of people involved in computers, yet. :)
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Anyone remember learning BASIC on BBC Computers? lol
    Oh dear lord...
    I never used a BBC, but my first run-in's with programming were with BASIC under DOS on a system that was so awful that the clock had to be set every time it was turned on as the internal battery that keeps it going was busted (these can be replaced, but there's no point if it's the system that's faulty).
    QBASIC was one of the things I toyed with and I tried using some of the clones which actually allowed for compiling, but generally, I didn't have the skills and the language didn't suit me, so very little came of it.

Delphi is probably what boosted my programming skills as it was much easier for me to use and once you've learned the basics of things like variables, functions and loops, it's usually very easy to port that knowledge to other languages, such as PHP and Ruby, which I mostly work with now (I'd still be working with Pascal, but I gave up on getting Lazarus to work under Ubuntu... I'll probably pick it up again if I move to an RPM distro such as Fedora or Open SuSE).
    I also understand algebra now as it's basically the same as variables (a = x+(y-b)) and you don't get stupid test questions like "if i = b and b = g, what is the value of f?".
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    first site i visted was altavista.com it was saved in IE when i got my comp that was about 7-8 years ago, first website i typed in was yell.com i think to see if my internet worked as it was the only site i remembered being advertised,

what got me into computers was as a kid i used to play football and climb trees and what not but i also spent a little more time than other kids on my PC so i thought rather tha just playing games why not learn something, so i taught myself html - funny how at 13 i can teach myself html, yet at 21 i cant teach myself php lol
    Nuvo wrote: »
    ...my first run-in's with programming were with BASIC under DOS on a system that was so awful that the clock had to be set every time it was turned on as the internal battery that keeps it going was busted

I'll never forget that when I was very young, I was so excited to get my own Texas Instrument computer with cassette tape drive storage device. I studied basic until I could write simple programs and quickly save them to the tape drive before something went wrong. The problem is, when I would have the computer read my programs back from the tape drive, there would sometimes be problems and it would not run the program. The very first program I wrote that I was proud of was a two player drag racing game that was laughably silly by today's standards.

Anyone have one of these Texas Instrument Computers with tape drives?