Interested in Webmaster/Domain Related Law?

DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames AdminAdministrator
One of the other Moderatros on this board, Moddy, and I both have it as our goal to become IP Lawyers (so we can defend you, our Webmaster friends :) )

I just was curious how many others here have an interest in Webmaster/Domain related law? Anymore hopeful IP lawyers out there? If so what is your motivation for your interest?

I was motivated by seeing my hero, John Berryhill (for whom this legal section was named) in action defending Webmasters and Domainers. I think that is very noble of him and I want to do something similar.

Comments

• MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Shall I kick it off? :cool:

My interest was originally sparked when I started tagging using PSP in 2000 and was learning the ins and outs of TOU/TOS from artists that gave permission to use their work on tags. Which led me to purchasing an unlimited usage license from artist Anthony Guerra in 2004. Anthony Guerra's UUL lead to the beginnings of II LLC most commonly known as GILD amongst the PSP Community. When GILD started the PSP Community started fighting with each other, friends were lost along the way and everything was divided into "no drama zones" which in my opinion creates it a whole lot more than allowing people to voice their opinions. This in my opinion was mostly down to GILD employing taggers and the power went to their heads.

This is where the persecution started against people that believe graphics etc on the Internet is public domain. I know that belief is wrong but I also believe that filling someones inbox, guestbook, shoutbox etc with harrassing, abusive hate mail or having name and shame pages are a lot worse.

Last year I joined a group of extremely talented designers called Tutorial Writers Inc that has reduced tutorial theft (plagiarism) and bandwidth theft by around 70% since the day it was founded in 2004. They done so in a calm and mature manner by acting on behalf of the tutorial's author and taking the time to educate without judgement of the infringer.

In February this year Anthony and his wife Michelle started their own image licensing company (Creative Image Licensing & Management), to enable taggers/designers to legally use artwork for non-commercial usage from a wide range of artists and photographers. There have been some "wars" between CILM and GILD in the past few months but the PSP Community seems to be getting on alot better now.
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • fiona2412fiona2412 Member NAT Warrior
    Earlier this year I started studying English Law, as an opening to studying more in-depth law later on. However due to circumstances beyond my control I had to quit my course a mere 6 weeks into it. Needless to say I learnt sweet FA during that time, apart from how laws are made by politians/civil servants etc etc.

I originally wanted to do crimial law, it has always interested me...but being a mum and full time carer to my hubby, I can not work a job that required you to work 20 hours a day 6 days a week for most of the year...I need sleep lol

I still want to work within the law, to defend those who can not defend themselves.

If there was a course that would enable me to become an IP Lawyer, while allowing me to study at home I'd be 1st in line to sign up. Until that time I'm stuck. My youngest is just 16 months old and I can not afford full time child care fee's, hubby can not look after her full time for reasons I will not go into. So what can I do? I'm 30 next month, I'm getting old and my life is slipping away with it. I am not qualified in anything unless you count being a mum.

If you ever hear of a study at home course for IP law....please let me know

Hugs
    A Depressed & feeling very old Fiona
    xoxo

Oh forgot to add....

I support CILM and agree with their goals, shame we had to go through all that with GILD before we got something as good as CILM
    "I didn't lose my mind it was mine to give away" No Regrets by Robbie Williams

My Site
    My Deviantart
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Fiona, contact Northumbria University ;)
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
    Thanks Mod page loading ;)

My Site
    My Deviantart
    Page not loading, refusing to let me in :@ have added it to my fav's and will try again tomorrow

My Site
    My Deviantart