Domain drought soon to hit us? (News Article)

Comments

• MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh page not found :(
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    MGDesigns wrote:
    urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh page not found :(

Sorry about that, URL fixed, try it now :)
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Thanks, off to read now :)

EDIT:-

Interesting read, it certainly puts my mind to rest as to why domain names I've wanted have never been available.
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    MGDesigns wrote:
    Thanks, off to read now :)
    EDIT:-
    Interesting read, it certainly puts my mind to rest as to why domain names I've wanted have never been available.

Yup, it leaves me to think that on day it will be very costly to buy a ".com"
    Already you see industry consolidation where big companies that never had to do with domains before are buying large portfolios of domains.

BuyDomains.com, who owns one of the largest portfolios was bought out in just such a way by a corporate giant that was not involved with the internet.
  • joshlljoshll Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Ehem,
    Allow me to shed light;
    domains are into infinite numbers, there will never be a shortage of domains.
    there will however be a shortage of decent domains or ones that acctualy make sense.
    hell, if i wanted A DOMAIN i could just go and register www.209630596jokhjaoih3948619368.com
    .com is over saturated, thats why there is .net :)
    its like an overflowing bucket, and .net is the tray around it. if the .com is taken grab the .net

or then you move onto other extensions like .nu and .bz
    Adult Advisor :cool:
    Adult Section Leader :cool:
    Pimp ;)
  • MystiiMystii Beginner Link Clerk
    Interesting read! I've come across other articles on this but didn't realize it was getting to be such a big deal. I think selling the domain names to the companies that should have had them in the first place is a bit nuts, but I guess that's internet entrepeneurship. If there's an opportunity to make money somewhere, someone will find it and exploit it.