1and1

danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P.VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
Whats everybodys opinion on 1n1 hosting in here?

just curious...im thinking of buying the either the 9.99 plan or the 4.99 plan

another question:
i think my current host, servage.net, the databases are so freakin slow its slowing down my whole site, which practically runs on a database.

will the performance of my site improve if i switch to 1and1?

anybody know of other hosts that supply databases that actually run real-time?

thanks
ban1.gif

Comments

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    1&1 is pretty good as far as I'm aware.
    They have won multiple awards for their services, which is always a good sign, but I have read some down right terrible reviews (I don't know if those were directed at their American arm or not, http://www.webhostingtestimonials.com/hosts_name.php?id=1and1-reviews-ratings ).
    To be honest, if you can afford to pay yearly and you're not bothered if the server is in the UK or not, I'd go for something like Powweb (http://www.powweb.com/) since their plan works out at $7.77 per month for some pretty nice features (when you think that $1 is about 60p or so, you aren't paying much more).
    Powweb doesn't like people hosting multiple sites on one account, but appart from that, their service was awsome when I used them for a year (to cut a long story short, I did a site design for a friend and he decided to supprise me with a year of hosting and a domain for my birthday).
    I don't recall any noticable downtime, the servers were fast and in the year I was on their plan, the space and bandwidth rocketed to the huge 5,000MB & 30GB they offer now.
    If you don't go for the yearly plan, they do charge a setup fee and you don't get the domain though, so if you're not getting a decent income or a lot of pocket money, it might not seem as good.

As for database lag, it depends on how the host has it's servers set up.
    Some don't put much expence into setting them up, so they becaome slow and can get bogged down (if you've got 1001 people doing queries and the server can only handle 1000, the last guy will either get held back or his script will crash), some lump the HTTP and database servers on the same box, which is all fine and dandy unless you get massive amounts of traffic (such as if you've got tons of sites on one server) and then there's the smarty pants system builders who have the HTTP servers on different rack boxes to database servers and actually make sure the DB servers are capable of handling the load.
    Obviously, real time connections will usually be faster, but if your host overloads their servers, it can still grind to a halt.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    ive heard some bad stories about them but i think for basic hosting it should be fine, all i woul say is dont register your name with them as thats usually when the bad stories come in, i think once the name is registered with them its with them forever unles you let it expire
  • danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    wow and i thought they were worth it....
    Nuvo my current host DEFINITELY over loads their servers. They have 3 clustered servers i believe, and they suck quite frankly.

Where can i get some reviews for PowWeb? They look good, im considering it...

Also how are the databases on PowWeb?
    ban1.gif
    this is interesting...look what my host sent me:
    We are sending this note to use as our records indicate that are using mysql3.servage.net for one or more of your databases.

Unfortunately this database has become overloaded and is not responding as fast as it would normally do. When using this database you might notice that your website takes long to load.

If you experience problems while using mysql3.servage.net we recommend creating a new database as it will be created and a brand new and faster database server. You can then move the data from the old database to the new one. We also recommend deleting all unused databases on your account.

In the future we will monitor the loads on our database servers closer to prevent such problems to occurring again. If you have questions kindly contact our support staff via the support ticket interfaces available in the control panel.

We are sorry about the inconvenience.

Best regards,
    Steffan, Servage Hosting
    and i switched the databases and now it all runs fine...weird. whats your opinion, should i stick with them or move?
    ban1.gif
    In relation to your first reply:
    I have used Powweb in the past, and the friend who got me the account (one of the developers at www.birdboard.org who is known as Sammy or Samuel) also uses them.
    Powweb was pretty much perfect for me, but I honestly couldn't tell you a lot about their support services as I never had to use them (since I'm a nerd and all, I know how to code and I know how to use FTP, so with the right details, I was off building).
    They are the 3rd ranked host on this hosting reviews site and that place currently has an offer running with them ($10 USD off of yearly plans).
    There's been quite a few bad powweb reviews which came up when I did a google search for reviews, so it could be entirely possible that lathough their feature set is increasing, their standards are going to the dogs.

My best advice it to look up some hosting review sites and then judge for yourself.

As for your last topic, I did mention that the lag was possibly caused by overloading their databse server.
    At least they sorted out the problem, even if it did take a while to spot it (really, if their servers are monitored correctly, they should be capable of telling how much load is being placed on a server so they can sort it before it cripples itself, but that's the problem with hosting services, they don't think like that).
    The one problem with the way they have gone about rectifying their lag problem is that if a large enough number of users move their databases, they could quickly overload the new server, but the chances of everyone changing over are faily low since some will be happy to keep their stuff where it is once the lag is gone (such as those using a CMS who may not have the knowlage required to dump their data and copy it to a new database) and if the server is more powerful, it should hold out better.

Bluehost is supposedly decent and [url=http://www.lunarpages.com/[/url] has some people saying good things about it, but LP also has a few bad reviews and personally, I don't tend to trust hosts with poorly built sites (the width causes scrolling for me...).
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    well technically my dads buying the hosting for me as a christmas gift along with my bling bling diamond watch :)

I'm looking at Bluehost, they have really good reviews, and i must admit the free domain for life isnt bad at all.

Do you think Bluehost is worth it compared to PowWeb?

Plus most of the people that have visited my site are in the us...
    ban1.gif
    Bluehost has got a fair number of good reviews and it's features are, well, O_o
    You'd probably take forever to fill 10GB of space with stuff for a website (1GB = 1024MB, so powweb doesn't actually offer 5GB... it's a fair few MB less).
    250GB of transfer is good.
    Powweb offers 300GB, but only lets you use 10GB per day (your site may be taken offline for the remaining time in the day if the limit is reached).
    The only things they don't really offer are ASP support (this is common with LAMP servers since Linux doesn't support ASP quite as well as Windows) and Ruby (some people have converted to using RAIL to build their sites, such as alistapart.com but not many hosts currently support Ruby on Rails).
    I have read somewhere that they use Windows based servers, which is something to be wary of unless you're confident that they have secured their servers correctly since we all know that Windows is the most targeted OS by crackers and script kiddies.
    It's your decision as to which host you use since most will have mixed reviews and we don't know exactly what you want in a host.
    alright i think ill buy the bluehost hosting today

thanks for all your help nuvo
    ban1.gif
  • rebelagentrebelagent Junior Member Shared Hoster
    1and1 is really bad. They billed me for things I've never bought before and their support is ugh. The support needs support, seriously. I called in and they're like "Uhhhh hold on let me get my administrator for this." It was about the random bills I've been getting. So the admin refers me to billing and billing refers me to their email.... one big circle till I complained to the bank lol.
  • KilkKilk Junior Member Shared Hoster
    "Don't Do Business 1and1.com"
    I have registered 44 domains with 1and1.com over the past 2 years primarily because of the price. I have also referred them many customers. I paid in advance for certain services on many of my domains. I called to dispute an invoice this afternoon and to complain about the deactivation of services for those invoices I already paid for. A customer service manager named Benjamin basically told me to screw myself and flatly told me I could take my business elsewhere. I have never had a company tell me that before today. I would not recommend anyone do biz with these people.

This was off of the first link of the bad review of 1and1. I personally had a similar thing happen...I decided to try there $4.99 a month plan and had paid I think it was $25 or something for the 6 months. It was all setup and stuff...I checked it out, there servers run fast and overall are a good host, BUT I then wanted to do FTP and there wasen't a www folder or a public_html folder in the site I was all WTF....so then I went and called them asking where these folders were or if I was doing something wrong, which I probably wasen't since I run a hosting company myself...and the guy told me to search GOOGLE...That of course was some bad customer service...I then just simply wanted a refund..So my Mom called this time and asked for a refund...they said it would take 10 days to refund it...and that I would only be refunded $13.00...So she asked why only $13 when I had paid $25-30 for it...and the guy basicly said pfft I don't have to tell you why and hung up on my Mother! I do register my .com domains but only if I plan on never trading them or keeping them forever, and have not had a problem yet except that they haven't charged me $6 for one of them in the past month...I mostly can say is there are many many better hosts than this.
  • lionsgatelionsgate Member NAT Warrior
    At first I thought they are good provider. But many days I got i heard some bad comments against them. I never tried them actually. So, I believed the bad comments partially. From my mind I think they are not reliable or something like that... I suggest not to go for it.
  • stusangelcazstusangelcaz Member NAT Warrior
    I use one and one for my 2 domain names and Ive never had a problem with them.

I dont use them for hosting however, as I have a reseller panel with another company