theBIGcount - Just started

A few days ago (literally) I came up with a very random idea to create this website... and heres the result...

Take a look at http://www.thebigcount.com

Have a little read through it so you understand what its all about ;)

Also if you want to help out please feel free to sign up for a free hit counter and place it on your websites. More options to come soon though ;)

The Royal Ram

Comments

• danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    you are one amazing guy python :)
    how many sites do you have up and running right now
    ban1.gif
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    One or two ;)

The Royal Ram

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Sounds great. Looks great.
    Great site, Py. <_<

Your all welcome to help out if you want by placing either a normal or an invisible counter on your websites :)

The Royal Ram

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Seems like a fun project, even if chances of it actually being anywhere near accurate are rather slim.
    If the user has 56k internet, they will have a dynamic IP address, meaning a new one is assigned every time they start up.
    If they have broadband, chances are that the person visiting the site will have a static IP address, which remains the same even if they reboot and hardly changes unless they do something like overhauling their networking gear or chaning ISP's.
    If everyone had a static address, this would actually work really well since it'd only log the user once.
    I suppose you could set a cookie on the users system, but then there's the whole cookie deletion, multiple browser and / or cookie blocking issue to consider (blargh, minor legal training leads to use of "and / or" too much).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    lol... as it says on the website it is a fairly pointless project... just an interesting one :)

Would be cool to see how many uniques/hits the counter has in 1 years time...

The Royal Ram

Yeah, but I don't see much point in buying a domain name just to set up a site like that...
    A subdomain such as counter.devdreams.com would be sufficient and much less expencive.
    I suppose it is mainly for fun though, and although there's masses of free counter services available, yours may have some use considering that many, such as those provided by bravenet, are awful.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Yes I did think about the cost of the domain... and my answer was...

I would put a Google Advert at the top of each of the sites pages (only 5 pages:)) and within a year the chances of me getting equal to or more than the cost of the domain ($8.88) are extremely high... So in my view I havent lost anything...

I also plan to expand it a little so people have can two types of counters - unique and just hits... also maybe graphical counters...

But in the end it all comes down to a fun project :)

The Royal Ram

• danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    awesome python amazing...btw nuvo i have dsl but i have a dynamic ip...static is 15 bucks per month!

pointless really
    ban1.gif
    You have to pay for a static IP when you have broadband... that sucks.
    I know some lesser services don't assign a static IP, but more often than not, they just use a static IP since the connection is always there, even if the computer is turned off (the ASDL modem stays connected, so as long as you can access that, you're set to go).
    My point is still valid though since if everyone had a static IP, mapping users accurately would be a trivial task (use PHP to get the users IP, check for it in the DB and if it isn't logged, insert an entry for it).
    Thats basically how theBIGcount.com works - Checks for IP in the database and if its there it updates the date to today (so later when I add more features I can say when they visited last - also for stat reasons). And if their IP isnt already there it simply inserts it as new...

The Royal Ram