Gillys Portfolio Ver 2.0

I've recently launched a new version of my site and was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on the layout and content basically.

Any feedback whether its good or bad would help!

I would appreciate it very much, thanks in advance!

The site www.gilly.org.uk

Gilly

Comments

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I had a quick look, and I like it.
    It seems you have used divs and css too. Kudos. :)
  • gillygilly Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Thanks for the reply, glad you liked it!

Yeah i used css & xhtml to make the site, so it has good compatability with browsers!

Thanks

Gilly
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Looks decent, but I'd probably go with a slightly darker text colour as it'd make it more readable, but that's just me (I'm patially colour blind... which is fun).
    XHTML 1.1 isn't really reccomended yet since some browsers have problems with it apparently.
    The use of CSS and DIV's is good to see as so many people are still using tables.
    It might be worth looking into URL rewriting since it'd mean users wouldn't need to be bothered by url's with long numbers and such in query strings.
    This wouldn't require you to change much since Apache has mod_rewrite which allows you to have an url like site.com/index.php?page=about but the user would see site.com/about.html or site.com/about.
    This is what I'm currently tinkering with as it allows me to shorten url's and search engines don't like query strings, so it's preferable if you're building sites which require one to load the correct pages.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    Thanks for the reply, do you know if there are many difference's between XHTML 1.1 & XHTML 1.0 ?

I am going to look into URL rewriting after this post because it shounds quite useful, i will probably need some help but i'll start a new thread if need be!!

Thanks again!
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Apparenly, there's problems with some browsers not supporting the MIME type XHTML 1.1 and above are supposed to use.
    XHTML 1.0 will happily validate with the standard text/html MIME type, but XHTML 1.1 is supposed to use application/xhtml+xml which is only properly supported by Mozilla browsers and other Gecko based browsers (gecko is the Mozilla HTML rendering engine).
    Internet Explorer doesn't work correctly if you use application/xhtml+xml, so you'd need to use the MIME type text/html which does work, but which isn't designed for any of the XHTML markups.
    XHTML 2.0 won't work with the HTML 4.01 MIME type at all apparently, not that you'll be using XHTML 2.0 for a while anyway :/

A better explination and a couple of hacks can be found at:
    http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/03/19/dive-into-xml.html
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    Thanks for the info!
    Nuvo,
    I took your suggestion about url rewritng and have had a go, there's probably a couple of errors some where but its 2.30am so im sure people will forgive!!

P.S. Not much activity on this forum this time of night!