What OS are you using?

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
What operating system do you have running on the computer your using and any other computers which are in your house?

Im running Windows XP Pro on 3 computers.

The Royal Ram

Comments

• martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    XP pro
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Mac OS 10.3.9.
    I really want Tiger!! :(
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Windows XP Home, SuSE Linux, Puppy linux and Knoppix (puppy and knoppix are liveCD versions, so they aren't installed on my HDD).
    I wouldn't mind a Mac, but I don't have the cash (I can't even afford the new Xbox which I plan on getting at the moment) and I'd rather wait till the big Intel shift since Intel == AMD > IBM PPC > Cyrix and other crap CPU's...
    Also, the one PC magazine I actually read (PCplus, decent programming stuff and things) included the Power mac G5 in their Ultimate PC feature in a recent issue and while PCplus likes the OS (going as far as to say Microsoft's Vista OS will be an attempt to copy some features from it into Windows) there were some bad points about it such as the single optical drive (if you're copying directly from disc to disc, this can be a problem) and the lack of a screen or speakers which would be included with any similarly priced system using a different OS (nearly £2000).
    The Mac mini looked ok at first, but I soon found out why it was so cheap... half of it is laptop hardware, just not quite as fast as in a laptop :/
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • {Sneaker}{Sneaker} Beginner Link Clerk
    Windows XP SP2 and SuSE 9.3 LiveDVD and Debian Linux for my server.
    But i mostly worked with windows :}

p.s. excuse me, my english is not very good, but i hope u can understand me :}
  • gillygilly Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Pc - XP Pro SP2
    Laptop - XP Pro SP2
    Old pc (server) - Fedora Core 4
  • TheDonkeyTheDonkey Junior Member Shared Hoster
    running XP pro SP2 on two machines Have a old junker laptop with Win 95 I have been meaing to turn into a automotive diagnostic tool....

ummm Nuvo HOLY CRAP...what are you like practicing to be the ultimate tech support guy or something????
    Capt. D
    F18_468x60.jpg
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    lol, yeah he sure has some good replies :)

Thats the sort of thing we look for as moderators ;)

The Royal Ram

• tonytony Moderator Administrator
    win xp although i keep meaning to get linux mandrake or whatever its called now, i just never get the chance to give it a try
    TheDonkey wrote:
    running XP pro SP2 on two machines Have a old junker laptop with Win 95 I have been meaing to turn into a automotive diagnostic tool....

ummm Nuvo HOLY CRAP...what are you like practicing to be the ultimate tech support guy or something????
    No, I was trying to find a version of Linux which would easily allow me to access my WiFi network using my USB PRISM2 card without too much coding, which resulted in me installing SuSE (also, I was being lazy so I couldn't be bothered to download Mandriva again).
    Linux is good as long as you don't mind doing some things yourself, and since I have 2 virtually useless USB flash drives (a 64MB and a 256MB that's actually my old MP3 player that I no longer use), I thought it'd be cool to look at turning one of them into a bootable OS stick so I could walk up to a PC, plug it in, change the BIOS if required (to boot from USB) and have everything there like I left it.
    I now also have copies of Gentoo 2005, another copy of Knoppix and Fedora 4 that I could burn to disc, but haven't yet (might install Fedora over SuSE).
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
  • danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    jeez nuvo, we never ask for 1000 work essays as replys :)

running xp home on both my crappy emachines that actually run fast and have over $2500 of pirated software on them...or maybe i shouldnt have said that...dreamweaver 8 and photoshop cs2 are really nice programs...!!
    ban1.gif
  • ChroderChroder Senior Member The Royal RAM
    I run Win XP Pro SP2.

@Nuvo: Try Ubuntu, it has great hardware support. Should send SuSE running for it's money, and it's much better IMO (Ubuntu is my favorite distro by far).
  • ViperViper Senior Member The Royal RAM
    XP Home Edition:(
    Feel Stupid as most of you guys have PRO:D
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    XP Pro...don't really like it though, its too slow.
    Thinking of possibly thinking of also installing Linux

Does anyone know anything about redhat?
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    ive used it to be honest i prefer windows xp the only version of linux i would contemplte leaving xp for is mandrake (or whatever its called now)
    Don't bother with Redhat as it isn't free anymore...
    Fedora is the free Redhat alternative, but I have heard a few people whining about it.
    The best thing would be to try something like Mandriva, Ubunto or Knoppix if you're looking into using Linux.
    It'd be a good idea to try some LiveCD distrobutions first since they don't need to change your HDD at all and can run from removable media such as CD's or USB pen drives.
    jeez nuvo, we never ask for 1000 work essays as replys

running xp home on both my crappy emachines that actually run fast and have over $2500 of pirated software on them...or maybe i shouldnt have said that...dreamweaver 8 and photoshop cs2 are really nice programs...!!
    Ok, next time I'll try to keep my reply to "buhuh... Nuvo like coputear!" or something, if that makes you happy :/
    I can't get over the fact that you're pirating Dreamweaver 8 as there's no point...
    Dreamweaver is only marginally better than Frontpage for WYSIWYG editing (I hate WYSIWYG editors, talk about disgrace to the internet) and for hand coding, there's much better free editors available such as Sitevision and cEdit MX (both built with delphi, I looked into them when building my own, which is turning out well).
    Pirating sucks and I'm sure there's decent free or lower cost alternatives to most commercial tools.
    Nuvo wrote:
    Dreamweaver is only marginally better than Frontpage for WYSIWYG editing (I hate WYSIWYG editors, talk about disgrace to the internet) and for hand coding, there's much better free editors available such as Sitevision and cEdit MX (both built with delphi, I looked into them when building my own, which is turning out well).
    Hand coding all the way! :)
  • summoner49summoner49 Member NAT Warrior
    Haha...

If I was hand coding, everything would take me forever, and I would have millions of little errors that would take me a very long time to ever even find. Coding isn't what I enjoy doing, so I find WYSIWYG editors to be just fine.

If hand coding is your thing, I have nothing against that... but theres nothing wrong with DreamWeaver either.
  • ChroderChroder Senior Member The Royal RAM
    Spot on, summoner49. It's a pet peeve of mine when people say WYSIWYG is wrong, that's just plain ignorant.

I hard code, always have and probably always will, but there is no reason not to use a WYSIWYG if it makes you more efficient. There is no point in intentionally doing things the hard way. That's like trying to build a Windows application without a form designer: a waste of valuable time that could be spent creating better products.
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    I used to be "against" WYSIWYG editors because "hand coding is better" But now I just find it much more effective to use something like Dreamweaver. However it of course makes it everything easier that i can code without it. I rarely use the design view though.
    Good point Chroder, use DreamWeaver if you want.
    But, I have always hand-coded and always will.
    I've actuallytaken the time to learn the languages I use, so why should I waste that knowledge? :)
    Chroder wrote:
    Spot on, summoner49. It's a pet peeve of mine when people say WYSIWYG is wrong, that's just plain ignorant.

I hard code, always have and probably always will, but there is no reason not to use a WYSIWYG if it makes you more efficient. There is no point in intentionally doing things the hard way. That's like trying to build a Windows application without a form designer: a waste of valuable time that could be spent creating better products.
    My disliking of WYSIWYG is because both Dreamweaver anf Frontpage create non-compliant code( especially Frontpage), not that it's any kind of "lazy" editing tool.
    Adobe macromedia (gah!) stated that they couldn't be bothered with making dreamweaver compliant since nobody who uses WYSIWYG actually cares if their site can be used without Explorer :/
    I know it's possible to get dreamweaver to output compliant code with a bit of p[oking about in it's settings, but I prefer to just avoid using it since every time I tried opening a perfectly complaint site with it which didn't use tables, it looked horrid in Dreamweaver MX' WYSIWYG editor, and if I'd got it to look good in that, it'd probably look awful in a browser.
    I agree that WYSIWYG lets you get things done quickly, but I prefer usability in more browsers over all out speed of getting it done and I'm good enough at hand coding to get things done almost as quick anyway :|
  • !!!! Beginner Link Clerk
    Win XP Home Ed.

btw, B. Gates celebrates his jubilee i've heard..
  • JohnJohn Junior Member NAT Warrior
    Windows XP Pro SP1 on my computer, Windows Server 2003 and Ubuntu Linux on the server (dual-boot), Windows XP Home SP2 on my laptop and Windows 2000 Pro on another computer that I never use...
    [+] JSlane Designs
    [+] JSlane Hosts