Firefox overtake IE?

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
Firfox is rapidly becoming more popular since more and more people are using it every day. Do you ever think that it will become more widely used than Microsofts Internet Explorer?

Also do you think that Microsoft will try to release another internet browsing program to try to challenge Firfox?

The Royal Ram

Comments

• mate_plmate_pl Junior Member NAT Warrior
    Microsoft will release IE7 (already in beta) and it will be more wide spread then FF because they will budle it with Windows...
  • martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    Yes but wheather ppl wil use IE7 or just get the latest version of firefox is debatable
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    A lot of people will be happy with IE.
    It browses the net, right?
    Ok, so it does it badly, in lots of ways, but it still does it, and for the sorts of people who only spend a few mins online each day (my parents for example) would be happy with it, expecially when the alternative is to download something they don't know anything about, which will work differently, look different, etc, etc.
  • {Sneaker}{Sneaker} Beginner Link Clerk
    i think that FF never we'll be take over IE.

IE is simple... Everybody knows him, now with beta1 of IE7 MS include tabbed browsing and get closer to FF with it.
    so... www.w3school.org have statistic for that:
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

2005 IE 6 IE 5 Ffox
    April 63.5% 7.9% 20.9% - that's the lowest % for IE6 for 2005 year.
    September 69.7% 5.8% 18.0% - here IE have 6% upp! and FF have almost 3% down...

if MS do it in right way ... FF never be the most popular browser, but however i Love FF :}
  • ododdododd Junior Member Shared Hoster
    IE is crap, I love my FF, but still use IE at times because i can't use FF for everything
    There are three types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't
  • ChroderChroder Senior Member The Royal RAM
    As long as people use Windows, I think IE will remain the most used browser. Unless MS actually stops developing and supporting it, then a lot of the computer-illiterate users won't know the difference (case in point, my sister wouldn't even know what a "browser" is).

FF (and even Opera, now that it's completely free) percentages might rise, but I don't think IE has to fear.
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    PCPlus magazine has tested all three of the latest versions of Firefox, Opera and Explorer and it's findings may be something of a blow to Opera users and a supprise to anti-Explorer users.
    IE7 (beta) was found to be about 7 seconds faster than firefox and a 11 faster than Opera 8 when loading ign.com, it prints better and has better privacy features as well as matching Firefox when it came to pop-up blocking (FF and IE scored 10, Opera scored 9).
    IE7 partially supports the CSS 3.0 draft, it has RSS capabilities as standard and it is supposed to do a better job than Opera 8 when it comes to phishing prevention (Firefox, apparently, has none).
    When it came to giving their views, IE7 and Firefox 1.0.6 both scored 8 out of 10, while Opera 8 only got 5 out of 10 and it's claim of being "the fastest browser on Earth" came off a little tarnished.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • danielneridanielneri WP V.I.P. VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    wow...anyways go firefox!!!
    ban1.gif
  • ViperViper Senior Member The Royal RAM
    ive found tht over the years firefox has been much better, IE is for the less experienced internet user, i would definatley go for firefox!
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    ^ I wouldnt really say that IE is for the less experienced user but is more for the type of person who doesnt need anything different or simply doesnt want to try.

For example if someone bought a Windows system and on it was just IE then they would of course use that. If that could do what they wanted it to do (browse the net) then why would they bother looking for others. They would know no difference

The Royal Ram

i kinda agree with u there, but if they just have IE when they have their pc then they aint guna look elsewhere because they wouldnt kno tht anynthing else would exist, if you kno wat i mean, if they are beginners like i was b4 then they wouldnt kno anything else to get, since i have become more into computers ive learnt that there is better than IE and ive never looked back sonce, what has made firefox famous is its ''open in new tag'' feature, awesome idea!:D
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    Thats probably why i like ff so much is because I can have a bunch of sites open within the same window... but then thats probably the same reason as most others

The Royal Ram

yep, its tha bets part of firefox and since it was tha 1st browser to do so then i think it will be tha best browser around for years to come(Y)
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I'm not sure it really was the first browser to do it and many other browsers do do it.
    But, it is one main reason why FF is better than IE.
    ye soz kinda got carried away there;)

Ye a lot of browers do it now, but in my opinion FF is tha best:D
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I prefer Firefox myself, but I didn't like having to reinstall with every little update and it sometimes ground to a halt when I was doing a lot.
    Opera actually has the best tabbing in my opinion since it does what Firefox and other do, but it records what tabs you have open so that when you close the browser and restart it, they are all there as you left them, even if you restart the PC.
    Opera has those fast forward and rewind buttons which can really get on my nerves if I accidentally hit one rather than the normal nav buttons...

Personal reasons for hating IE:
    Outdated (hardly any big changes since XP came along).
    Poor HTML support (wait, isn't HTML the whole point of visual browsers?).
    Poor XHTML support (XHTML 1.1 causes IE to haemorage).
    ActiveX (good on the desktop, stupid idea for the web).
    Laughable security (Hello, I am a phishing site with added virus, click me!).
    Poor scripting support (try looking into AJAX and you'll see that you need two calls to xmlhttprequest bacause IE uses ActiveX).
    Iffy CSS rendering (using font-size: xx-small makes things unreadable and you end up using hacks when floating divs).
    Lacks decent search features and tabs.
    Half assed png image support (we want transparency... people not making billions give us it, why can't Microsoft implement it... or buy it).

Basically, everything I can think of at the moment should be getting worked on with IE7, but I'll not use IE again on my PC :/
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!