7 versions of Vista?

NuvoNuvo Forum LeaderVPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
In case you don't know, Vista is what Microsoft have decided to call Longhorn (the next version of Windows).

I was looking through another forum and I found a topic by my old host (leafo of leafo.net) and apparently, there's going to be no less than 7 different editions of Windows Vista.
The article this was mentioned in can be found at:
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47665/47665.html?Ad=1
You may be thinking that 7 versions in't anything shocking since there's half a million versions of Linux, but some of these are really, really crappy by anyones standards.
Look at the Vista Home Starter package:
Windows Vista Starter Edition: Aimed at beginner computer users in emerging markets who can only afford a low cost PC. As with the XP version, Windows Vista Starter Edition is a subset of Home Edition, and will ship in a 32-bit version only (no 64-bit x64 version). Starter Edition will allow only three applications (and/or three windows) to run simultaneously, will provide Internet connectivity but not incoming network communications, and will not provide for logon passwords or Fast User Switching (FUS). Windows Vista Starter Edition is analogous to XP Starter Edition. This version will only be sold in emerging markets.
It has no support for 64Bit CPU's, so that means you can't easily upgrade to a gaming machine or anything when you are a little more confident with computer use.
You can't have multiple secure accounts since password protected access isn't supported.
You can't run more than 3 windowed apps at a time (hell, I have Firefox, Opera, a HTML editor and a file browser open and sometimes an image editor too).
They say it'll only be distrobuted in emerging markets, but you'll still get some cheap rip-off company flogging computers over here with it on.
The Basic edition is supposed to be roughly at the same level as XP home, but I can't say that's a great thing since XP looked horrid when first installed, it's not the fastest OS ever and although it doesn't crash as much, it gets really bogged down when you try doing too much with it.
They really need to work on naming conventions, Windows Vista Home Premium Edition is just stupid for a name... 5 words, and that's if you don't put Microsoft at the beginning.
I wouldn't be too supprised if my next system is either Linux based (I have SuSE dual booting with XP now) or a mac (the only one I'd be able to get now would be a mac mini and frankly, I'd like something that isn't just a butchered laptop in a shiny case).
I 'd only need a mac box since I have a 17" widescreen LCD monitor sat in my room with no computer connected to it (I use it as a TV \ DVD player) and appart from my keyboard (which sucks), everything is USB :/
PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
Current project: CMS Object.
Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
Release date: NEVER!!!

Comments

• JohnJohn Junior Member NAT Warrior
    Well, like they say, you get what you pay for, if you want something good then pay for their best os... Vista is looking good at the features of the os are great, I have a beta and a few mates are beta testers of vista so it's worth the money when it's done if the os will do what microsoft want it to do :)
    [+] JSlane Designs
    [+] JSlane Hosts