Review for DirectoryStation.com

I've just created a new website called www.directorystation.com
Could you give me some feedback on the layout, design, colors and time loading. Thanks very much!
(don't hesitate to submit your links for free as well :) )

Comments

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    The overall design is fairly decent, especially when you consider that most pre-made site scripts don't always go for compliant code (it's HTML 4.01 valid, but not XHTML 1.0... because you aren't using XHTML).
    Load times could be reduced using PHP's built in compression handling, but that would require some minor coding knowlage and I'm not sure how you'd do it with ASP.
    Using PHP's inbuilt compression handling wouldn't make the browser render faster, but it does mean the downloading of code is much improved (PHP compresses the data using an algorythm the browser supports and sends the compressed data, which download quicker as it's smaller).
    Such compression is reliant on the browser in use though... If the end user visits with Explorer, there's a chance that it won't load at the same speed it would if they had used Mozilla (PHP finds out which browser you're using and then uses a compression algorythm your browser can work with).
    Most directories would have a search box on the main page since it makes life easier if there's no categories which the user wants to search (such as if they don't know where the links they want are located).
    Also, giant Google adverts let it down a bit :/
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • infoscriptinfoscript Beginner Link Clerk
    Thanks Nuvo for your very detailed review. I'm using asp as you said so I won't be able to take advantage of the php function. I'll think about the search function in the home page.