Custom built computer

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
Ive recently got my hands on a few pc components for free :)

Ive got:
DVD Rom drive
Floppy drive
CD Rewriter
20GB Hard Drive
230v PSU
And a shed load of cables and stuff...

Basically what I was thinking is if I perhaps custom built a PC just for the fun of it. By this I mean I would spend a little money and buy a decent but not amazing motherboard and PCU and just put something together inside a custom built case... Nothing fancy. Just an aluminium frame with mountings :)

It would probably look like crap but it would give me something to do in my spare time :)

Fairly pointless though ;)

The Royal Ram

Comments

• ChroderChroder Senior Member The Royal RAM
    Use it as a server :) You could network home computer together and use it as a central server, use it as a file server, or just put your localhost web server on it and use it for development.

That's what I'm going to do when I become not-poor :D
  • martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    I have two computers in my house both custom built.

And yea Py you should turn it into a server, using Microsoft's IIS :D
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    If I was going to use it as a server Id want a bit morw hard drive space than 20GB.

But it is an idea :)

The Royal Ram

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    martian2k4 wrote:
    I have two computers in my house both custom built.

And yea Py you should turn it into a server, using Microsoft's IIS :D
    I sure hope you were kidding about using IIS >:[
    The only two servers I have ever used are Xitami, which is good sor a simple localhost if you have no experience of using a server, and Apache, the best server available... EVER.
    Apache would be a good bet if you want to get into server building because although it's complex, it can handle pretty much everything from basic HTML to
    PHP, CGI, Python, Perl or whatever else you feel like tacking onto it, there's even Frontpage extension support.
    Apache is used on most personal and commercial web servers and it's entirely FREE.
    Most non-windows web hosting companies only really need to buy hardware, a web connection and pay for office space and staff since Apache is free, linux is free, php is free, mysql is free and quite a few other popular web compatible technologies are free.
    20GB is actually fairly decent for a server, many starter level dedicated servers come with 20GB of storage and most people take a while to use up 100MB since the average HTML file is well under 1MB (I have a BBCode tut saved in HTML and it's only 7.18KB, my directory script folder is full of junk files and it's less than 150KB including images and sub directories).
    You may want some RAM by the way...

What I was planning to do was to turn my PC into a central media center for my bedroom.
    I have a 17" LCD TV with DVI (though it has no DVI port, just SVGA) support which has an inbuilt and literally silent running DVD\ VCD\ MP3\ Kodak image CD\ anything not on the level of Blu Ray player, so that would cover the DVD aspect for the most part, but with it hooked up to my PC and a couple of mods (Intel Extreme 64MB GPU's make Guild Wars suck and 256MB of DDR RAM isn't enough), I could surf the net on one channel while watching TV on the other (Freeview is great if you don't watch much TV).
    My PC makes very little noise (the fan is pretty quiet and the only really noisy thing is when my CD-RW \ DVD combi starts reading discs), so it wouldn't suck to keep it on while I'm doing other things, but it'd be better if it wasn't in a standard HP style tower case (the PC was a present from my parents, I was going to build my own but never got around to it).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    What a post!

And yes i was kidding

IIS - Ford Fiesta
    Apache - Ferrari Enzo!

:p

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    My posts usually end up too long.
    I thought it was more like:
    IIS: unicicle with a sqare wheel and a flat tyre.
    Apache: McLaren F1 (record holder for the fastest road legal car you can buy, or it was, at least).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    Lmao, Not a actuall Mclaren F1 tho (engines keep explodin :p) ohh i would love a McLaren F1 or a McMerc

• PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    ok ok lets not switch over to a cars topic - you can talk about that in another topic ;)

but ye we got the point about IIS being the best (joke)

The Royal Ram

• TheDonkeyTheDonkey Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Make a hardware firewall and play around with smoothwall or something....

hook it up to run home automation (make it your house BRAIN)....I dunno use it to flush a toilet or turn lights on...LOL
    Capt. D
    F18_468x60.jpg
  • ViperViper Senior Member The Royal RAM
    I would do the PC up and then sell it, make it look really good and then sell it to me, lets face it, i need a good PC:D