Gigabyte iRam - Interesting

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
http://www.idealgadget.com/2005/06/09/gigabyte-iram-boot-up-windows-xp-in-seconds/

Basically it goes into one of your slots on your motherboard and can speed up your system by a LOT.

Im not quite sure how much it costs but if its a reasonable price I may look into getting it for the next PC i build :)

The Royal Ram

Comments

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Costs $60 without the DDR RAM (something like £30-ish here).
    DDR333 RAM UK prices range from £10 (128, excluding VAT) to £1794.99 (4GB, excluding VAT) from Crucial.com.
    This is pretty much useless if you use Linux since it clearly says it'll only work with Windows XP (BOO!!).
    Samsung has made some decent, if small (16GB) HDD's which use NAND flash memory (solid state, like a pen drive but bigger) which would mean you could increase performance, lower weight and it'd only use 5% of the power that a normal platter based drive uses, but Samsung hasn't said when they'll be releasing them or how much they'll be.
    Basically, all that card does is extend the RAM capacity of 32Bit systems above the 4GB limit by making the system think it's a HDD.
    Then it's just a case of shoving the OS data which would usually load slowly into the fake drive, where it'll load faster.
    It's kind of like how LiveCD's of linux work, they load important stuff into the RAM and keep anything else on the CD.
    64Bit systems can handle up to 8GB of RAM, thus allowing more things to be loaded into RAM so they load faster (XP is about 2GB in size, so you could load that and a good few apps into RAM).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!