Been looking at Macs

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
I was just over at PCWorld and had a quick go on one of the Mac systems they got there. It was a G5.

Its the first time Ive ever used one and damn Im impressed :)

Took a while to get used to cause Im so used to using a normal PC.... If only I could afford it

The Royal Ram

Comments

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I'm glad you'r impressed. :)
    But I'm not sure Macs get a good showcase at PC World... ;)
  • summoner49summoner49 Member NAT Warrior
    If your going to buy one wait until after they switch OS's to the one with an Intel processor... alot of the new software won't be compatible once that one is out.
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    summoner49 wrote:
    If your going to buy one wait until after they switch OS's to the one with an Intel processor... alot of the new software won't be compatible once that one is out.
    True, but the new Intel chips won't be fully implemented untill 2007.
    Once they are done though, Apple systems will get a fair boost in power since IBM was dragging it's heels when it came to CPU technology.
    The change from PPC (PowerPC) CPU's to the more standardised x86 architecture will also benefit Ipod users since using Intel chips in Ipods would allow for lower power requirements leading to longer battery life and the possibility of more features.
    Rumours of an Ipod with movie support have been going around a bit recently, and the new chips may go some way to making this possible.
    Apple PC's aren't a lot more powerful than standard PC's, it's just that Windows is an awful, clunky OS that saps resources, leaving even high end systems less than happy.
    Apple machines are well known amongst the artistic community for their use in movies, but recently, some artists such as those who made The Lord Of The Rings have found that Linux can do just as well at a fraction of the price (since the OS is free, you just need the computer, and not many companies will care how the system looks, so there's no fancy case mods).
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • ChroderChroder Senior Member The Royal RAM
    summoner49 wrote:
    That's not true, actually.

Any software that is going to be created for years to come (at least as many years as a newly purchased Mac will last a person) is going to be compiled into a "universal binary" that will work on both the PPC and the x86 architectures. And all old software run on the new x86's that isn't compiled into a universal binary will have be run through an emulator (their "Rosetta") to get the PPC instructions to work under x86. Although their Rosetta solution seems quite fast and does its job well, emulation does decrease performance.

You are probably better off buying a Mac now because prices are going to be very low while they are clearing stock for their new x86 lines.
    • PPC-compatible binaries will be around for years to come
    • You will get a new Mac cheaper
    • You won't be stuck with slow apps while everyone re-compiles their source code into a "universal binary".
    Sounds good to me ;)
    Well said Chroder. And I use apple's at home, and various other machines running Windows at school, etc... And I have chosen to stick with Mac. ;)
    You won't regret it, Py!
    I was going to save up for a G5, but decided against it because I didn't have enough space or plug sockets to to run a Mac and a Windows \ Linux PC.
    I was thinking of getting an Apple laptop, but I'm probably going to either wait till the prices drop or till Intel has taken over, which should also see a significant drop in price as well as a power boost since Intel can mass produce and are well past the 3Ghz barrier.
    The most extreme rumour surrounding the big hange is probably the one which tries to make out that Apple and Intel may go beyond being partners and merge, though I highly doubt it's going to happen since Intel is still warring with AMD to get the biggest share in the PC processor market.
    Apple applications designed for use on the PPC version of OS X will only need recompiling, not completely rewriting unless they work with processor instructions directly.
    As said, there's an emulator, and as OS X runs better than Windows XP because it's based on the efficient Unix platform which is only beaten by the likes of it's open source offshoot, Linux, it uses less resources which means emulation will work better than on Microsofts clumbsy OS.
    If OS X runs as well as it does on it's current platform with all the advanced features which M$ isn't introducing untill the long awaited and overdue Longhorn, imagine what you could do with the power Apple will have by 2007 (computers have doubled in power every 6 months or so since they came into existance, so do the math).
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Nuvo wrote:
    I was going to save up for a G5, but decided against it because I didn't have enough space or plug sockets to to run a Mac and a Windows \ Linux PC.
    Aww man! Thats the weakest excuse I have ever heard!
    You do know you can buy splitter type things that will allow you to plug like 4 things into one socket, right?
    Aww man! Thats the weakest excuse I have ever heard!
    You do know you can buy splitter type things that will allow you to plug like 4 things into one socket, right?
    I have 2 sockets in my room and one has an 8 way, nigh on invincible belkin splitter in it, but I still have little room for another system unless I bought a mac mini, which didn't appeal to me.
    Perhapse if I get an SVGA monitor cable and link my PC to my 17" widescreen LCD DVI signal supporting TV \ monitor with inbuilt DVD player, I'll have more desk space available :/
    I'm a bit strapped for cash right now though and I'm happy with how Linux runs for me... apart from it hating my USB WLAN connection...