The Royal Ram

• martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    Lmao, thought you might like to have it up ther :p
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
  • CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    I gotta vote SMF cause imho its far better than phpBB and IPB and it's free vBulletin is great too, but it's expensive and SMF has most of the stuff you actually need...
  • bentongbentong Junior Member Shared Hoster
    i like vbulletin but more used to phpbb forums..i also like IPB because of its graphical interface.. :)
  • ArestiaArestia Member NAT Warrior
    there is a new free forum out now @ http://getvanilla.com/
    seems pretty quality
    Arestia Design Studios / Synapse Corporate Solutions
    Daniel L. Rust - Lead Architect
    Seattle, WA
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    I used to be all for phpBB at one time. I would use that for all my sites which needed a forum however then I decided to go for vBulletin for this site because the advertising would cover the costs and it would improve the forum...

Now im hooked on vBulletin and dont really like phpBB as much. Ive never used IPB or SMF much... Only mainly on other peoples sites for helping them out or just messing around.

The Royal Ram

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Arestia: GetVanilla doesn't seem anything special from the user side, which counts for a lot more than the admin end.
    I will still stick with SMF, unless I think I can earn more than enough to cover the cost of vB, on revenue from that site.
  • martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    I quite like the look of http://getvanilla.com/ , Free sofware i use SMF (at the mo ;)) and paid vBulletin definatly :D
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
  • ChroderChroder Senior Member The Royal RAM
    vB for me, and SMF if I had to go free.
  • FelixFelix Junior Member Shared Hoster
    You guys should check out http://birdboard.org if you're looking for any free forum software. It seems really decent. :)

Also vBulletin is the best but it is really expensive.
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    Yeah vBulletin is only a good solution I think if your site is earning to enough money to cover the costs

The Royal Ram

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Felix wrote:
    You guys should check out http://birdboard.org if you're looking for any free forum software. It seems really decent. :)

Also vBulletin is the best but it is really expensive.
    You stole the words right out of my text based virtual mouth.
    I am actually a friend of the developers of birdboard, and I have used it in the past.
    It works pretty well and it's free.
    The people who have been working on it are from a site called Teencoderz.
    Teencoderz was the site which took on the development of FlashBB before we found out that XMB's developers were threatening the origional creator with legal action for code theft.
    Once we heard about that, we decided to drop it and start a new project which developed into Birdboard.
    FlassBB is now TruBB, and the code has been changed as far as I'm aware.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    I used to be a member at Teencoderz, but insistent squabbling between the staff member and, well, just about everyone made me leave.

But their project is not bad. Before they released a download, I was on their site trying crack it ;) I did report quite a large security hole under another, very uncreative username. :D Now that it is released, I think I'll download and install it, see if I can crack anything else.
  • strangedarstrangedar Senior Member The Royal RAM
    PHPbb is the one I use.. The only one I have ever used... I'm not really very experimental but I stick to what I know usually...
    strangedarknesssig.jpg
    sebastianastill.co.uk - My Portfolio
    Chroder wrote:
    I used to be a member at Teencoderz, but insistent squabbling between the staff member and, well, just about everyone made me leave.

But their project is not bad. Before they released a download, I was on their site trying crack it ;) I did report quite a large security hole under another, very uncreative username. :D Now that it is released, I think I'll download and install it, see if I can crack anything else.
    Really?
    I haven't known Teencoderz have any staff problems apart from one very irritating user who insisted that he'd hack us all because I locked a topic of his which wasn't suitable.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    It was at the very beginning I believe, far before they moved to vBulletin.
  • summoner49summoner49 Member NAT Warrior
    Looks like I'm the only IPB fan here huh? I have a illegal version of it that I use to just mess around with and make skins for (don't actually use it for a site). I rather like the admin end of it and find the member interface quite good so I like that one.
    Chroder wrote:
    It was at the very beginning I believe, far before they moved to vBulletin.
    Oh, I have been there since well before the switch to vB.
    I nagged the owner about stuff on the site and kept it open and ended up being a global mod.
    The TC community is pretty much dead these days though.
    I haven't been a fan of IPB since they started messing about with the whole commercial only thing.
    The last version I used was the final free version, and even that was poorly coded.
    I own an IPB license, on top of my vB license.

I think they are pretty neck and neck with features. Each has a couple things the other doesn't. IPB is missing out big time on the permission system though. They have a matrix of like 6 different permissions, while vB has a page full. Not to mention their support is completely useless when compared to vBulletin.

If IPB managed to create a better permission system and got at least acceptable support, then I would consider them equals.
  • coolhomecoolhome Junior Member Shared Hoster
    None, I faverit on is a cumstem forum that no one has because never been made ;)