Review: Python Designs

Over the next few weeks I am planning to properly launch Python Designs as a freelance webdesigner.

I have just finished redesigning the site.

Please review http://www.pythondesigns.net and also cast your rating at http://www.devdreams.com/reviews/1

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks

The Royal Ram

Comments

• jmcjmc Senior Member The Royal RAM
    fonts to small and maybe a diff dont :)
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    aww I thought it looked quite good with a small font like that :(

What do the rest of you think?

The Royal Ram

Update: Just finished creating the custom support desk - Although your not able to register yet, lol. That will soon change though.

The Royal Ram

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Tables? font tags?
    Bah. It looks nice, but a bit simple. Font could maybe be one pt size bigger...
    But I hate it cause of the way you coded it.......
    lmao - you never have been a big fan of tables. Im happy to use them for now because at the moment switching to CSS isnt one of my highest priorities ;)

The Royal Ram

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Sorry, but if you plan on getting into proffessional web design, you'll need to realise that the first impression is a lasting one, and the first impression someone will get of your skills is your own site.
    Graphically, the site is OK, if a little plain and IPB-ish, but the code is just awful really.
    Tables were designed to format data in a tabular fashion, using them for templating goes against how HTML was designed entirely.
    <font> tags were depreciated for a very good reason, they aren't user friendly.
    If I had sight problems and I visited your site, the use of font tags would most likely hinder any chances of me getting my browser to modify the font so that I could see it.
    CSS doesn't have such problems and <span> tags are widely supported, so it's advisable to use them.
    You're also missing your doctype declaration, so the browser won't have a clue as to weather you're using HTML 4.01 transitional, 4.01 strict, XHTML 1.0 or anything else.
    If you were intending to use XHTML (which, by looking at your code, you weren't), you'd also need to use lower case tags only and tags with no closing tags would need to self close like so:
    <br />

Rather than simply using <br> and so on.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    Nuvo: nice one... I tell people all that all the time, but it seems people never listen. At least now I'm not the only one saying it. ;)
    Well thanks for such as detailed review :)

I do plan on learning more CSS so I can start creating all my sites in that however for now I havent got the time...

Thanks for the comments.

The Royal Ram

• FelixFelix Junior Member Shared Hoster
    Yeah Python I hate to admit it but Nuvo and cannonball are correct. You need to start getting into the fashion of using CSS to create your layouts. I have looked through your portfolio and you have made some very decent designs (some that are actually better than the new pythondesigns you done!), so don't go spoiling that with bad coding. :)

If you need help getting your coding up to compliant standards feel free to ask me.
    Yeah... me too. I can pretty much code CSS of the top off-my-head, on-the-fly, like HTML... so, you have any questions: ask.
    Also check out w3schools.com which is where I learn practically ALL the CSS I know. ;)

But, to look at, the site is nice...
    Maybe make the nav/menu a bit fancier, and possibly put the actual content in some kind of "box" like the navigation and stuff.
    Otherwise, just make the same design using CSS and divs. ;)
  • strangedarstrangedar Senior Member The Royal RAM
    CSS CSS CSS CSS CSS ....*cough* ..sorry ive had no sleep and wanted to chant... I feel better now, thank you...
    ...oh wait I guess I should give you a review...

I'm a big fan of simplicity but this is a little too simple I think you should jazz it up a bit. At least get a banner image ..too blank... I kno you got skills pyth but you need to show them.

Hope that didn't sound harsh... Didn't mean it too...

Oh PS
    The whole deal with CSS: I think that its defo the way to go but your clients probably wont even car s'long as they have a nice looking site that gets them some customers. I think you should learn CSS, master it, but if you want to take your time thats fine... Jsut make sure you can always deliver...

I was lucky with CSS when I first started web design it was January (this year) I learnt using tables, like everyone else, for a couple of weeks then started hearing about CSS and got a book. I soon saw the potential and how simple it is to use. CSS is the greates web language there is. I love it...

Yeah anyway sorry for the rant... Lack of sleep... Hmmm.... OK guess thats all I have to say...

Take Care....
    strangedarknesssig.jpg
    sebastianastill.co.uk - My Portfolio
    strangedar wrote:
    CSS CSS CSS CSS CSS ....*cough* ..sorry ive had no sleep and wanted to chant... I feel better now, thank you...
    ...oh wait I guess I should give you a review...

I'm a big fan of simplicity but this is a little too simple I think you should jazz it up a bit. At least get a banner image ..too blank... I kno you got skills pyth but you need to show them.

Hope that didn't sound harsh... Didn't mean it too...

Oh PS
    The whole deal with CSS: I think that its defo the way to go but your clients probably wont even car s'long as they have a nice looking site that gets them some customers. I think you should learn CSS, master it, but if you want to take your time thats fine... Jsut make sure you can always deliver...

I was lucky with CSS when I first started web design it was January (this year) I learnt using tables, like everyone else, for a couple of weeks then started hearing about CSS and got a book. I soon saw the potential and how simple it is to use. CSS is the greates web language there is. I love it...

Yeah anyway sorry for the rant... Lack of sleep... Hmmm.... OK guess thats all I have to say...

Take Care....
    While it's true that a customer won't overly care about how compliant and well done the code is unless they have some base knowlage of HTML themselves, but it's always good to say that you can build sites which will work in any browser and which will stand the test of time and actually mean it.
    Personally, I have done design and basic code work for people who are very good at PHP and other languages, but who aren't able to design something nice to look at and I'd rather not be thought of as a newbie with a graphics editor.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Ah you speak truth and I feel the same but there isn't any need to rush to learn CSS, IMO, as long as you have clients although I believe that as soon as tables are rid of the bertter the web will be...
    strangedarknesssig.jpg
    strangedar wrote:
    Ah you speak truth and I feel the same but there isn't any need to rush to learn CSS, IMO, as long as you have clients although I believe that as soon as tables are rid of the bertter the web will be...
    Erm, yes there is a good reason to learn CSS as soon as possible, just not a rush to learn table free design right away.
    CSS is quickly becoming a backbone in web design since it allows you to split your content from your code more easily, something that's good if your client has no skill when it comes to web dev.
    Using CSS also increases the possible user count by not limiting users with formatting that's set in stone.
    If more people can view a company website easily, there's a higher chance of them looking around more and trusing the skills of the author.
    If you can get more people who are interested in your skills to think you know what you're doing, and that they can get the same accessible features, they are more likely to use your service.
    It's true that you don't NEED to learn to make sites without tables, and using tables can be an advantage in terms of time consumption when developing customer sites, but many find that knowing how to do it allows them to show off on their personal sites.
    The CSS Zen Garden project wouldn't have been possible with tables, but i doubt you'll ever have to make such a thing for a client.
    My point never was that python shouldn't use tables since that's his decision, even if some more eletist designers hate them, I was trying to point out that he could do with using CSS rather than depreciated tags which are noly stil usable so that older sites will still render as they should.
    If Python plans to develop sites which will stay as he designes them for some time, he'd be better off making sure they won't fail any time soon.
    My main concern really though was that his site isn't using valid HTML, meaning it may not look how he intended it to in other browser, and I don't just mean IE, Mozilla and Opera.
    Ah yes the css zen garden... My palace of inspiration.. :D
    If Python plans to develop sites which will stay as he designes them for some time, he'd be better off making sure they won't fail any time soon.
    My main concern really though was that his site isn't using valid HTML, meaning it may not look how he intended it to in other browser, and I don't just mean IE, Mozilla and Opera.

I agreee.. :)
    strangedarknesssig.jpg