Laptop vs desktop

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
If you had the choice which do you prefer using?

Either a smaller system like a laptop or a normal desktop system?

The Royal Ram

Comments

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    It depends...
    I like having a laptop so you can have it on your lap wherever you go...
    But if you only use it at work or something, desktops win.

However, I voted laptop because I am always on my iBook when the family iMac is often free...
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    Laptop.

I'm moving around to much to be on a desktop.
    Plus i don't game as much as I used too.
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    i'd go with a laptop... why bother with a desktop - nowadays the price diff is not that great...

i have 2 laptops - one for work and the wother for home use...
  • mate_plmate_pl Junior Member NAT Warrior
    desktop: easy to expand, bigger screen, better performance, raid array :-) or i just don't like laptops? maybe that's the right answer...
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    I wouldnt mind having a laptop so I could do some stuff when I go places or in a car etc....

The Royal Ram

• JohnJohn Junior Member NAT Warrior
    I prefer a desktop pc because I'm a gamer and if I'm using photoshop for designing sites etc I find it easier to use a mouse rather than a small touchpad, I have a laptop but it's only used if I go to a mates, scanning for wireless networks or for using when I'm going out and will need to use it..
    [+] JSlane Designs
    [+] JSlane Hosts
    You can't plug a mouse into your laptop? Lame laptop... :P
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    Yeah it should be able to use a ps/2 mouse. If not then go for a usb mouse

The Royal Ram

• ViperViper Senior Member The Royal RAM
    When ive used a laptop on the past ive always used a mouse! My cousin has one and he uses a mouse, but then again he would, he works for Formula 1:D
    I have an iBook which is all I use, so I am perfectly used to the Trackpad... :)
  • ViperViper Senior Member The Royal RAM
    The touchpad is very easy to get used to and when you go bk to using a mouse again it feels reli weird:P
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I like the portability of laptops, but desktops are infinitely better in terms of customisation since you have extra drive bays and card slots which can be used to add all sorts of things.
    If, for example, I wanted to add a 200GB HDD to a laptop on top of the one it already had in it, I'd probably end up going external, which isn't good for a portable system, but in a desktop, I can just open up, plug in and be pretty much done.
    I have yet to see a usable laptop which can do everything a desktop can without becoming an all in one desktop itself :|
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    That said, Nuvo, I have yet to see someone using a Desktop (literally) on-the-go. ;)
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I'm guessing LAN parties don't count there (I have TFT's and my case, though lame, has a handle, so it's not too hard to haul about).
    Anyway, going beyond the laptop we have...
    OQO Model 1 £1,535 http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/
    Runs XP pro (not mobile, PRO).
    512MB of RAM.
    1Ghz CPU.
    8MB 3D accelerated graphics (will just about run dungion seige).
    Slide down QWERTY keyboard.
    USB.
    WiFi (802.11b).
    Firewire.
    DEATH TO THE PDA!!!
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
    The 2 desktops in my house, G4 and G3 iMacs, are also easily hauled about, but I would love to see you using one in a taxi... :|