Hola amigos

Hi everyone, I'm Padawan from London in rainy old UK

I found this forum through another one I frequent and happily recognise several of the members from there in the members list :)

Comments

• martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    Hi Padawan welcome to the forums, are you a coder/ designer?
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
  • PadawanPadawan Beginner Link Clerk
    martian2k4 wrote:
    Hi Padawan welcome to the forums, are you a coder/ designer?

Neither, more like an inept :D

I have had no training in either and have only been a webmaster for around 6 weeks, hence the fact I joined a few forums to seek advice and tips.

Anyways, it hasn't stopped me too much and I am building my 3rd site and have a considerable number of domain names "in the bank" for when I have some spare time to develop them
  • martian2k4martian2k4 Llama Hunter Moderator
    Ok kew, Good luck with them :D
    Free MySpace Layouts- Coming soon
    Photoshop Tutorials- Coming soon
    Premium PHP Scripts- Coming soon

Haha i should really do some work so i can remove all the coming soon's
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    hey welcome to DevDreams and thanks for joining

The Royal Ram

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    Welcome to the best webmaster forum!
    (Please note, the above statement is the personal opinion of the forum member(s) and not necessarily the view of DevDreams.com Incorporated.)

Uh, anyway...
    The best tip I can give is:
    After you have learnt HTML, learn CSS. Do NOT use Tables for layouts. Use CSS and Div tags. Learn CSS here!
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    Welcome to the boards. I hope you learn a lot here.

Another Tip:
    Don't just learn HTML but learn XHTML right of the bat...they are pretty much the same but XHTML is much cleaner code and will help your site in the future. Plus it's a good habit.
    And if you do end up programming got with php... at least thats my opinion
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    hi padawan, when will you graduate to be a jedi? make sure you don't end up as a sith lord...

welcome to devdreams... :)
    daboss wrote:
    hi padawan, when will you graduate to be a jedi? make sure you don't end up as a sith lord...

welcome to devdreams... :)

I've been on a few forums and you are the first to actually associate my name with Star Wars - you must be a fellow fan :D
    Hello again Padawan, I am intrigued by the links in your sig(nature), are they your sites?
    Why on earth would you be intrigued ?

2/3 of them are mine
    For a newcomer to webdesign, they are very good designs...
    maybe you could give us links to a few of your sites...
    Then we can let you know how and where to improve, if their is room for it. ;)
    For a newcomer to webdesign, they are very good designs...

Why thankyou :o

I own -

www.info-sales.co.uk
    www.egyptbc.com
    www.dailyfonts.com

These 3 have content uploaded but I don't, and probably never will, consider any of them to ever be finished. The Egyptian one is the one I am working on the moment and I guess I am about 12 % done on the text content, and then I need to go through 12 years of photos to see if I have any more good pictures to add.

I also have many other historically themed domain names that are being developed off-line currently

There's plenty of room for improvement in all of them, as a novice to this I do not have the skill or ability to do it.....yet, but hope to learn enough as time goes by. Therefore any suggestions, including constructive criticisms, is greatly appreciated.
    here is a quick review of each:
    info-sales.co.uk
    The blue banner doesnt seem to match the rest of the silver...
    The verticle gradient (below "WELCOME TO INFO - SALES") clashes with the horizontal gradient below it on the left.
    egyptbc.com
    There seems to be 2 white boxes with a yellow one inside, but the white rounded corners don't line up (On Safari for Mac) and the yellow boxes corners are not rounded...
    dailyfonts.com
    Put a row of links (to the a fonts, b fonts, c, d, etc,) at the bottom of each page, not just the top.

Otherwise, everythings great!
    info-sales.co.uk
    The verticle gradient (below "WELCOME TO INFO - SALES") clashes with the horizontal gradient below it on the left.
    egyptbc.com
    There seems to be 2 white boxes with a yellow one inside, but the white rounded corners don't line up (On Safari for Mac) and the yellow boxes corners are not rounded...
    dailyfonts.com
    Put a row of links (to the a fonts, b fonts, c, d, etc,) at the bottom of each page, not just the top.

Otherwise, everythings great!

info-sales.co.uk started off as a "blue" site before I changed it. I have lost my way with the design on that one a little and need to think how I will improve it

egyptbc.com - I think the white borders on the yellow boxes will be removed as I am not happy with them

dailyfonts.com - good idea with bottom nav, hadn't thought of that - thankyou.

Thanks for your help :)
  • ViperViper Senior Member The Royal RAM
    Welcome, hope that you have a good stay and be good to other members!!!lol
    info-sales.co.uk

What colour banner do you think I should go for then ? I think silver will make the page look too bland.

I also have a slightly modified page at www.info-sales.co.uk/test.htm - I have removed the silver border on the left - does this look better do you think ?

thanks, in anticipation of any help you can give
    I think the menu thing on the left was ok, but not with that (Horizontal) gradient for a background... It clashed with the (Vertical) gradient above.
    As for the blue banner, I don't know... It's just the whole page is silver and white, except for this blue banner...
  • deadfingersdeadfingers Senior Member The Royal RAM
    yeah overall nice sites, need some work but pretty good for a beginner. I like the fonts one the best, looks very nice.
    sig.jpg