new to SEO

deadfingersdeadfingers Senior MemberThe Royal RAM
alright well im reading this http://www.stargeek.com/seo_tutorial.php and it talks about how to get high page ranks and whatnot but im not really sure about some of the stuff in that article, i got lost in some parts. so how do i do SEO? i heard u use Meta tags and stuff but now it seems no one really uses those anymore. This is what i know on SEO, ur page rank is determined by links on ur site so if u have a bunch of affiliates ur site would come up sooner, so ive heard and stuff. Key words are/were determined by Meta tag's description. so now can anyone explain it better? is there anything im missing? and how are keywords determined now? thanx, oh and if someone could give me a link to how i can 'register' my site on google or yahoo. :D
sig.jpg

Comments

• CannonBallGuyCannonBallGuy Moderator Shared Hoster
    The main things are Links to your Site and Keyword Density.
    Get sites related to your site which have high PR to link to you. For example; If you have a web development site search google for "Web Development" and the ones at the top of the list will have a high PR so get those to link to you through link exchanges or by buying ad space.
    Also, your keyword density should be about 10%. So basically 1 in ever 10 of the words on your site should be one of your keywords. For example, if you have a free flash arcade site your keywords could be "Free", "Flash", "Games", "Free Games" and "Flash Arcade".
    That should get you started. :)
    Hope I Helped.
  • deadfingersdeadfingers Senior Member The Royal RAM
    alright that makes a lot of sense, i see what u mean. I kinda figured that would be how it works, but now that meta tags our old what would i use? im guessing some sort of server type language like PHP or MySQL or something.
    sig.jpg
    alright i need some more help wit SEO, alright ive used meta tags yet nothing happens
    <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> 
    <META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="15 days">
    <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Digital,ebay,classifieds,ads,jewelery,jewlry,ElPaso,TX,Texas,Local,Newspaper,Webdesign,Webdevelopment,Auto,Macrosoft,Boots,websites,Buy,Free,updates,$50,month,Mexican">
    <meta name="description" content="Welcome to Digital Ebay, here you can showcase your products online, cant afford a full website? but want to sell your products online? Then Digital Ebay is the place for you, no hidden fees, no hosting fees,no design fees just one small fee!">

those are my meta tags, is there something im doing wrong? i noticed when i checked for links it only recognized like one of them since all the others are pictures. Is this why my site doesnt show up? any suggestions? im getting affiliates and such to help that out, and link exchanges. A question I also have is do you need to pay to submit my site to say yahoo or google? google says it doesnt matter if you submit your site or not since they use bots, but yahoo says you need to pay $300, theres some that you dont need to pay but they are rare and far between now. :(
    sig.jpg
  • DanDan Senior Member The Royal RAM
    well firstly google basically ignores meta tags, but you might aswell put them it for the other SERPS as for submiting your site to google and yahoo, just get links to your site, and then the links will get crawled and your site indexed :) You don't nee to pay anythin to get into yahoo, I think the money if for the directory...
    Alright kew thought so, so i just need text links, i need to convert my picture links to text links :eek: lol thats a lot of links, oh well. Thanx for your help guys
    sig.jpg
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    you dont need to, instead you could just use alt tags and things like that, they will help with your SEO, the basic rules to get high in search engines is have key word rich text, and sites linking to you with the links saying your key phrases (cbg's example if you got someone to link to your site the link text would be flash arcade or something similar)
    hmm alright so what your saying is just have good content in my site that has lots of good keywords? So if for example my main content page which explains about what the site offers for say example web design is to have like "Our Company sells WEBSITES and offers affordable HOSTING to business' looking to have an online SHOPPING CART" you get the point, so thats it then? and as well as loads of text links right? is there a way to have my site shop up on top without linking to someone else? So i just need to make sure our content on our page has words that ppl would use then correct? so for a website design site it would have web design, templates and hosting and etc etc as part of the content? thanx
    sig.jpg
  • dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    backlinks, backlinks, backlinks... the rest will take care of itself...
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    http://www.rlrouse.com/search-engine-friendly-website.html
    have a look at that, your kind of getting along the right lines there but just try to keep it down to 4 or 5 key words no more otherwise it will be really hard and for example you could say we other quality website HOSTING and all of our HOSTING packages omes with.... try to use the key words more than once but dont put hosting hosting hosting etc otherwise that will make you worse off