Are Webmasters Bad at Relationships?

I've been wondering something. I've heard some Webmaster friends say that there are two main reasons that Webmasters are bad at relationships:

1) Webmasters become so absorbed online that they don't end up with much time for relationships.

2) Some Webmasters find socializing to be painful. They find the Web to be an easier/safer place to socialize and so it becomes a natural outlet.

From your experiences (please share) do you think this "Webmasters are bad in relationships" theory is true?

Comments

• dabossdaboss WP V.I.P. ''The Boss'' Administrator
    i agree with the first reason - 100% :D

i don't agree with the second reason - most of us socialize very well - in forums, that is... ;)
  • xPureNLxxPureNLx Moderator The Royal RAM
    eh, I happen to be a webdesigner and I have a 3,5 years long (-or short =P) relationship. It works well, if you make time for both
    signaru02am7.jpg
    [B]MSN: xPureNLx@gmail.com[/B]

• tonytony Moderator Administrator
    I disagree.

Its not that your bad in a relationship, its more that you dont put enough time or energy into it. That goes for all occupations where the person doesnt have the time for a relationhip.

If you mak the time to go ou meet new people and build on that then you occasionally meet someone you like more than a friend and they feel th same way, when that hppens you then make the time for tht other person. If you dont make the time then you cant like the person enough to have a proper relationship and so it would be best finishing it.

Thats my theory anyway - thats my excuse for neer lasting more tha a month, or i could just be honest and say i get bored too easily
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Interesting thread! I'll need to have a think about this and drag Lurk in too LOL

*gawd damn lurk emote* :banghead:
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I'm antisocial, I have a speach problem, I'm short, I have a nervous problem (I have a low blood sugar level, so I shake if I don't eat for any period of time), I wear glasses and don't generally worry about how I look (though most of my cloths are smart or decent looking casual), I have an incredible mass of generally useless knowledge stuck in my brain and on top of that, I'm a computer nerd :[

It's not so much that I'm bad at keeping relationships going, but that I'm not the relationships type of person.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    But Nuvo, I'd bet that if I knew you well, I could list off 20 things your excell at.

Knowing you just a little, you are one of the best Forum Leaders I've seen, you have a mind like a steel trap (you would kick arse on jeopardy!), you seem to have an insatiable appetite for learning programming and will probably go far as a programmer, and when you express yourself in the written word you have the patience and persistance to explain/elaborate on your ideas more than most people.

My problem with relationships is problem #1 above: I spend too much time online. I have a bit of an obsessive personality so if I'm into something, I try to engulf myself in it. Therefore, I'm truely addicted to the internet.

I'm also the WORST judge of character. My last relationship was with a Romanian women living in the US who turned out to be already engaged to someone else. In a relationship prior to that, everything seemed to be going great. After 9 months she told me that she was already married to someone who was away away at college :banghead: I swear, I didn't even see the warning signs :(
  • GOBGOB Beginer NAT Warrior
    But Deluxe, you must have had at least one good relationship, right?
  • tonytony Moderator Administrator
    i can beat that deluxe, i went out with someone that cheated on me, called me 10mins later saying how sorry she was and what she'd done, i fiished with her and she blaimed me for us splitting up. - thats 1 of the main rasons i dont do relationships.

That doesnt mean im bad at them it means she is.

The fact you were in a relationship for 9 months and the only reason it finished was because she was already with someone means that you cant be that bad otherwise she wouldnt have stuck around for 9 months.
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    I definatly see both points from post 1.
    The internet is safer but there the benefits of a relatioship are much better;)

My girlfriend does get on me for being online all the time but if it helps buy her crap she doesnt complain.
    GOB wrote: »
    But Deluxe, you must have had at least one good relationship, right?

Absolutely. One girl was so nice, caring, and honest; a real gem. We're not right for each other, but she remains one of my best friends. You know who I'm talking about GOB :)
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    Absolutely. One girl was so nice, caring, and honest; a real gem. We're not right for each other, but she remains one of my best friends. You know who I'm talking about GOB :)

Oh stope Deluxe, you're making me blush.
    Well this is new to me.
    pfgannon wrote: »
    Oh stope Deluxe, you're making me blush.
    LOL Gannon! :lmao:

Shh! You promised not to tell...
    Too late :mad: