Copying the Paperclip for the House Trick: OneUglyDomain.com

A fellow owns www.OneUglyDomain.net and is going to try to trade it up until he gets a million dollar domain. Looks like he's trying to copy the paperclip for the house publicity stunt. You can read about it on his site here: http://oneuglydomain.blogspot.com/

It might work but I rather doubt it. Usually copycat publiciy stunts don't work as well as the first one like all the "pixels for sale" sites that failed.

Comments

• MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    How many people are going to want to purchase/trade a site that has a zero pagerank?
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • DeluxeNamesDeluxeNames Admin Administrator
    MGDesigns wrote: »
    How many people are going to want to purchase/trade a site that has a zero pagerank?

Good point Moddy, it will only work if he gets media coverge. If the media covers this story, then people will jump in to get a piece of the publicity and all that comes with that like the extra traffic being part of a story like this could bring.
  • MGDesignsMGDesigns Admin VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Perhaps he/she should sell/offer his/her story to one of the many leading online news sites *ponders*
    A cynic is a person who when smells flowers looks around for a coffin! :rolleyes:
    -
    ModGirl Design
    My ArtWanted Portfolio
    Renderosity Gallery
  • JohnJohn Junior Member NAT Warrior
    It's a crazy idea, hope it works out for him though :)
    [+] JSlane Designs
    [+] JSlane Hosts
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    I don't really see this going anywhere.
    The paperclip trading experiment worked because it was trading something one person wanted for something they didn't which was of a higher value.
    A domain name like that one is pretty useless, and anyone could go out and register a better one for what, $8 a year.
    People with more desirable domain names will most likely either sell them at a fixed price that they know they are worth, or they'll auction them off with some kind of minimum reserve.
    If I had a domain that was worth any kind of money and I wanted to get rid of it, I wouldn't swap it for a worthless address like the one he's offering.
    On top of that, the domain is just the .net version of his domain (.com), so it'll always be linked to the origional owner.
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!