Creating and distributing scripts

PythonPython Forum LeaderThe Royal RAM
Just curious would this be effective for promotional purposes?

For example if I wrote a bunch of scripts and then gave them away free and then if they all had a link in them back to my site... would it have any major effect do you think?

The Royal Ram

Comments

• gillygilly Junior Member Shared Hoster
    I have a link back on one of my scripts and its been downloaded 300+ times in about 3 weeks and since then my uniques has gone up between 3-8 extra each day, so hopefully the more its download there more visitors i will get from them! Also if you look at your logs and find the refers you can see they come from that script!

Personally i think it is worth it!
  • NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    If you make a good script that people are likely to want, they'll need to know where it came from.
    If the script has a link to your site, people who see it and would like to use it would probably find it easier to use that link than to search the net, find a link to your site and use it.
    You can get a decent number of users coming in from links in your scripts just as long as the script is good enought to draw in potential users.
    Nobody would bother surfing to your site if the script was poorly developed.
    It's all down to if the user wants your scripts enough :/
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!
  • pfgannonpfgannon Moderator Administrator
    I think it would be a great way to promote yourself. I almost always go back to the creators site when I download a script.
  • PythonPython Forum Leader The Royal RAM
    So what if I was to create a good link directory script... Could be used as a complete site .... That should get some users right ;)

The Royal Ram

• NuvoNuvo Forum Leader VPS - Virtual Prince of the Server
    Python wrote:
    So what if I was to create a good link directory script... Could be used as a complete site .... That should get some users right ;)
    Probably, yes...
    PHP, CSS, XHTML, Delphi, Ruby on Rails & more.
    Current project: CMS Object.
    Most recent change: Theme support is up and running... So long as I use my theme resource loaders instead of that in the Rails plug-in.
    Release date: NEVER!!!